Jen Schro catchers gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2021
My daughter has had the JS gear for a few years. I had to replace the shins before highschool season because the knee was cracked.

She loves the fitment. I would want her to try allstar again if we replace the whole set.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
How gear is stored and taken care of after it has been worn is just as important as the function and fit while using it.
Chucking the gear onto the ground and throwing stuff haphazardly on the ground/dirt/duggout creates lots of wear and tear that is unnecessary. Along with that,
Cleaning gear will definitely help it last longer. Making sure it is fitting correctly is important so it is not slopping around pulling against itself while it is on the body.

Most thing I have noticed about any set of gear is that many catchers are more comfortable mix and matching gear that fits better.

Helmet fit is critical~
Comfortability
Weight
Ability to see through the mask portion

Shin guards length particularly Comfort around the knee area.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2024
How gear is stored and taken care of after it has been worn is just as important as the function and fit while using it.
Chucking the gear onto the ground and throwing stuff haphazardly on the ground/dirt/duggout creates loss of wear and tear that is unnecessary. Along with that,
Cleaning gear will definitely help it last longer. Making sure it is fitting correctly is important so it is not slopping around pulling against itself while it is on the body.

Most thing I have noticed about any set of gear is that many catchers are more comfortable mix and matching gear that fits better.

Helmet fit is critical~
Comfortability
Weight
Ability to see through the mask portion

Shin guards length particularly Comfort around the knee area.
I really wish there there was somewhere near me in Va to try them all on.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I really wish there there was somewhere near me in Va to try them all on.
Would like to see that at different softball tournament venues also! But people generally tend to sell one brand / manufacturer. Think it would be good to have multiple options for those who may care to mix and match for the best fit for themselves.
Particularly noticed that catchers at times only need a piece of their gear (like just a replacement helmet but the rest of the gear is fine)( or only grew out of shin guards).
Should not need to buy entire set every time.

Dec 15, 2019
Is there a size difference in the phx and jen schro? My 11 year old is getting new gear and I'm trying to decide between the two. She tried on a teammates Jen Schro, but the all star stuff is hard to find to try on.
How big is she?

Nov 2, 2021
I bought a team set and purchased the AllStar AFX intermediate for U13 (Canada). We have a couple of catchers learning the trade and I wanted to ensure they were protected. I hope that the gear will last our team through U15. I completely agree with RAD about care. Even though this is a team set, I make sure they hang it up in between innings and I clean it after every tournament. After about 25 games the chest protector and helmet are like new. Maybe a new set of shins after a couple of years. I had previously bought an Allstar System 7 for U11 and it worked great but find that the girl-specific AFX chest protector fits much better as it is designed with breaking points specific to female athletes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach