Is this common?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2014
My 14 yr old DD attended a camp at a DII college this past weekend. The coach was really impressed with her and asked her to stay back at the end of the camp. He then spoke with all of us. Even though he did not make an offer, he did tell her that she was probably going to get a lot of offers and to keep his college in mind. To this my DH said that the said college was on her top 5 and the coach was really glad. After that he asked us to meet him for dinner and said that he would explain the whole process of getting into the team in detail. Is it common for a coach to meet prospective players outside of campus for discussion?

Mar 26, 2013
Is your DD in 8th or 9th grade?

Added: Did he want to eat dinner on campus?

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think the rules are a little different for D1 and D2, but I do not think having dinner off campus is allowed by D1 schools.

Jul 10, 2013
High school Freshman and Sophomore year. these rules also apply until September 1 of your Junior year.

Coaches are allowed to:

Send you athletic or sports camp brochures, NCAA Educational Information and Questionnaires.

A coach can also accept phone calls from you as long as they are at your expense but remember that if you leave a message on an answering service the coach is NOT ALLOWED TO CALL YOU BACK.

Coaches are not allowed to:

To call you on the phone.
A coach cannot send you any written recruiting information.

NCAA Recruiting Guidelines, Unofficial Visits:

You can make unofficial visits to a college campus.
It is also permissible for you to receive a maximum of three complimentary tickets to a college sporting event.
You can talk with college coaches but this must be on campus.

I hope this helps

Apr 25, 2010
If she is 14u, she may be an 8th grader and there is no restrictions on contact with her and her family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom