Is "small ball" dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, college teams have prepared well with their bunt defenses. They have studs at the corners who have rocket arms that are accurate. Pitching wise, pitchers have adjusted well to having slappers hit the ball where the pitcher wants. Naturally, the surface also has something to do with it. In a recent sectional game in our area, a team comprised mostly of slappers had a very hard day and the coach pointed out that the surface hurt his slappers. (No, I don't know what he meant by that.) Teams have also recruited some athletes that have worked very hard from an early age in the weight room. My dd has been on a weight program since 8th grade. She is not a timid little girl.

Regarding the dimensions of the field. High schools in our area typically are 200 all the way around. They vary between 4,6, and 8 foot high fences. Our high school is 200 all the way around and 8 foot fence. We played on a hs diamond last night for our league game and it is 215 down the line and 225 to center. I can't imagine a college not having to be at least that big. JMHO!

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
In a recent sectional game in our area, a team comprised mostly of slappers had a very hard day and the coach pointed out that the surface hurt his slappers. (No, I don't know what he meant by that.)

Deep nail drag followed by the mesh drag then ice it over with the brushes. Puts about an inch of soft stuff that kills the down chopped slap dead. It also kills a bunt so there is less roll and less spin movement to drag them foul. It can help you or hurt you depending. That could be what he ment. I can't see how the field prep would effect gap slaps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06