Is 11yr to late to start pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
My DD has been catching 10U the last 2 years as my primary. 2yrs ago she pitched a few 1 inning stints in blow out games. We would work at home so I knew she could do it.

This year she didn't pitch as I had 3 good pitchers, 2 were fast for 10u in our area.

My top pitcher tore her left ACL at the end of the season. Dr's say she should be fine but I know she is doing too much on it and hurt it again. I'm worried she won't be the same or pitch at all.

My DD has asked about pitching again. I know she will work at it but i'm not a pitching coach and money is a bit tight to send her to one.

Is it too late to get her started? Is it ever too late? :confused:

May 13, 2008
It is never too late. I've heard of kids not starting pitching until they were in high school and still getting scholarship money. Rare, yes, but still possible. Sometimes, it is even more desirable to start late as the athlete may be stronger or be more coordinated.

It is less about when you start, but how hard you work at it. Even a pitcher who starts at the age of 5 has to work at the skill or lose it.

May 25, 2010
That you even ask the question makes me shake my head...not about you, but about the fact that kids are expected to specialize so early in life.

I don't see why she couldn't just as easily pick up the position at age 15 or 16.

Good luck to her.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
That you even ask the question makes me shake my head...not about you, but about the fact that kids are expected to specialize so early in life.

I don't see why she couldn't just as easily pick up the position at age 15 or 16.

Good luck to her.

I can think of a few reasons why you shouldn't wait this late (15 or 16) to take up the position. 1) In general, no coach is going to your give your DD any opportunity to pitch in a game and that is the only way she is going to get better by facing batters in real game situations; 2) The pitching motion has the most complex mechanics of any position in softball and it takes many, many years to learn to pitch effectively.

Do I think age 11 is too late? No. But at 15 or 16, definitely (at least at the varsity HS or TB level).

Apr 13, 2010
Mine started earlier but I think 11 is probably just about the right age. 12-13 at the latest. By High School like others have said (14ish) the train probably has left the station.

Mar 13, 2010
I was 18 and went from being a state infielder to being a state pitcher within a year. Of course my coach had been begging me for years to learn the damn position. (my mum was a former national player)