Increase bat spped?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Looking for tips, tricks and drills to help increase bat speed. If it is an excersise that contain weights please share that as well.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
Try this website. It worked for my 12 u. Adjust the weight of the bats to fit your daughter's size.
I have also had my daughter hit crabapples off the batting tee (the object is to have her obliterate the apple) just be sure to have her were glasses.

Bat Speed Routine

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
I didn't follow this routine to the letter, and really only had her do it a few times but it seemed to help. I would have her swing my old baseball bat (maybe 30-32oz.) 15 times, then have her swing a 32" broomstick 15-20 times, then go to her game bat 15-20 times. Repeat that 2 or 3 times and then do side toss or have her hit off the tee with her game bat. As for the apples, I found a tree on my way home from work one day that had most of the apples laying on the ground around it, so it was cheap and she had fun hitting them.
I have also heard of people using potatoes.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
I didn't follow this routine to the letter, and really only had her do it a few times but it seemed to help. I would have her swing my old baseball bat (maybe 30-32oz.) 15 times, then have her swing a 32" broomstick 15-20 times, then go to her game bat 15-20 times. Repeat that 2 or 3 times and then do side toss or have her hit off the tee with her game bat. As for the apples, I found a tree on my way home from work one day that had most of the apples laying on the ground around it, so it was cheap and she had fun hitting them.
I have also heard of people using potatoes.

Solid advice and yes, it seems like there is a lot of room for tweaking this program. I did a google search before posting this and that didn't come up. Thank you again for the link.

Oct 19, 2009
I have never made any special effort to increase bat speed with my daughter, she does some over and under load with bat weights and she uses a bat her pitching coach has with fins attached for resistance and swings with it some. I’ve tried to make sure she is as mechanical sound in her swing as possible. She uses the grip and swing mechanics I’ve learned from Howard/Hitters post.

Howard advised to focus on landing on a flexed front knee, then the grip he advised that the proper grip is where they get the biggest increase in bat speed and the work on turning the hip as the back elbow is dropping. IMO a good finish and finishing over the back shoulder also helps.

I never knew daughter’s swing speed it had never been tested and this weekend at an exposure tournament they were testing the kids, I was not there medical condition and extreme heat. She called me at home excited her speeds were 76, 79, and 81. She advised they had a black box and she was told to swing and get as close to the box without hitting it as she could. She advised that the people at the tournament was making a bid deal about her swing speed and she was excited.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I have never made any special effort to increase bat speed with my daughter, she does some over and under load with bat weights and she uses a bat her pitching coach has with fins attached for resistance and swings with it some. I’ve tried to make sure she is as mechanical sound in her swing as possible. She uses the grip and swing mechanics I’ve learned from Howard/Hitters post.

Howard advised to focus on landing on a flexed front knee, then the grip he advised that the proper grip is where they get the biggest increase in bat speed and the work on turning the hip as the back elbow is dropping. IMO a good finish and finishing over the back shoulder also helps.

The grip Howard advises can be developed with this product. He uses this product with many of his students. Crystl Bustos also endorses this product. It improves bat-speed and bat control. Bat Jack Grip Trainer - Baseball Softball swing aid develops grip

Jun 7, 2012
Looking for tips, tricks and drills to help increase bat speed. If it is an excersise that contain weights please share that as well.

Set up a swing progression using the overload principle while standing in a pool. Use the H2O resistance to maximize muscle fibers reaction time. Young kids enjoy doing this even more than the college kids do.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Thanks for the feed back, due to a hand injury in the past my DD's 1st priority when gripping a bat is the basics of what the bat jack does.

DOH, I just realized I spelled "spped" wrong in the title. I clearly meant speed! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd