Illegal pitch - out of lane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Had this happen last tourney: PU (one umpire crew) called an IP on our pitcher for stepping outside pitching lane while delivering the pitch. The pitching lane was not lined; but still clearly up to his judgement to make the call.

My question; to violate the rule, does only 1 foot have to land outside the lane or do both have to be outside? I know this is rarely called (especially when not lined); but PU was on a quest to enforce this rule, as he called 3-4 of them in the first inning. This was a 16U game, ASA rules (USA qualifier).

Nov 1, 2013
actually a very easy call to make for the plate umpire...and lines are for the NCAA ruleset

Jun 27, 2021
Had this happen last tourney: PU (one umpire crew) called an IP on our pitcher for stepping outside pitching lane while delivering the pitch. The pitching lane was not lined; but still clearly up to his judgement to make the call.

My question; to violate the rule, does only 1 foot have to land outside the lane or do both have to be outside? I know this is rarely called (especially when not lined); but PU was on a quest to enforce this rule, as he called 3-4 of them in the first inning. This was a 16U game, ASA rules (USA qualifier).
Usually never have to worry about it unless you have a screwball pitcher. Taryne Mowatt big reason the line was established in the college game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles