Ideal contact point, body angles & hand positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
The best hitters agree let the ball travel. But the same best hitters also say most damage is done out front, but should not be your intention at the plate, it makes you too vulnerable.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The best hitters agree let the ball travel. But the same best hitters also say most damage is done out front, but should not be your intention at the plate, it makes you too vulnerable.
Understood. I think i get that. You don't want to extend yourself out to the point there is nothing left to give. I guess i also see it, if you are so deep and compact, the only thing left to do is rotate around the torso.

This is what makes me think that everyone talking about practicing hitting the outside pitch to center or oppo, are trying to plan to get ideal extension, but if it is middle or inside, then they just wait for release as an instinct. or 'adjustability'. Plan for outside and react inside? maybe?

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
Who is this hitter. Very close to DiCarlo, but shoulders closed a bit more in my opinion which gets the left arm a bit farther from the body and looks a little more extended. but the right arm is looking to actually be a little more locked to the hip?
Jessi Puk, ole miss

May 12, 2016
Understood. I think i get that. You don't want to extend yourself out to the point there is nothing left to give. I guess i also see it, if you are so deep and compact, the only thing left to do is rotate around the torso.

This is what makes me think that everyone talking about practicing hitting the outside pitch to center or oppo, are trying to plan to get ideal extension, but if it is middle or inside, then they just wait for release as an instinct. or 'adjustability'. Plan for outside and react inside? maybe?
If they intend to hit out front it makes them susceptible the off speed pitch. I’m the Trout gif, I would say 80% of hitters are getting jammed on that pitch location and how deep it gets. But Trout has the mentality to stay inside the ball, it may look like an awkward position and his timing was off, but he can still rifle that pitch UTM because his ability to stay inside. Of course like RH said he is amazing athlete which doesn’t hurt either 🙂

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If they intend to hit out front it makes them susceptible the off speed pitch. I’m the Trout gif, I would say 80% of hitters are getting jammed on that pitch location and how deep it gets. But Trout has the mentality to stay inside the ball, it may look like an awkward position and his timing was off, but he can still rifle that pitch UTM because his ability to stay inside. Of course like RH said he is amazing athlete which doesn’t hurt either 🙂
I may be off, but i don't think the swing is 'launched' until the ball is well gone. So that is when the adjustment happens. I am assuming you think the hitter has already launched and will be too early on the offspeed. I think the load happens well into release and the barrel isn't started moving until the ball is gone and the brain has already changed it's thought on location. See the Miggy 6 box swing gifs. All are different pitches but all the swings are launched after the ball is released. Adjustments to me are made after the pitch release but before 'launch'. the pull back and the front foot down is before the swing is launched. Then once the hitter knows where to swing, it is launched to that location. At least in general. Then to me the hand release happens as a final tweak to where the ball ends up in the zone.

May 12, 2016
I may be off, but i don't think the swing is 'launched' until the ball is well gone. So that is when the adjustment happens. I am assuming you think the hitter has already launched and will be too early on the offspeed. I think the load happens well into release and the barrel isn't started moving until the ball is gone and the brain has already changed it's thought on location. See the Miggy 6 box swing gifs. All are different pitches but all the swings are launched after the ball is released. Adjustments to me are made after the pitch release but before 'launch'. the pull back and the front foot down is before the swing is launched. Then once the hitter knows where to swing, it is launched to that location. At least in general. Then to me the hand release happens as a final tweak to where the ball ends up in the zone.
I am just talking about intent and approach.. Donaldson has a good interview where he talks about intending letting the ball get deep... but he also says most damage is done out front... but if you go to the plate thinking about hitting it out front, that gets you in trouble.

May 12, 2016
Don't think you hit with alligator arms on every pitch location. Alligator arms are a good thing for middle/in.
I personally think alligator arms Is an adjustment when the hitter Is beat... ideally that’s not where contact should be on an inside pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32