Ideal contact point, body angles & hand positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I like this position. Some would say it is not deep enough.
What does that mean? I think that is the ultimate question of my post. I am not sure that getting that deep allows you to be adjustable to outside pitches. Maybe that is my hang up. If you give a little by getting deep early and still have time to extend to different pitch locations, isn't that better? So when there is a meat pitch over the middle, then a swing like this is exactly what happens?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I don't think this is ideal. This is pure athlete. Put it this way, I don't think you would ever see Trout in this position in a HR derby.
But many put him up as a poster boy for a swing. After watching him, he just overpowers everything. he is so strong.

I do not know anything about Mike Coach Q, but he posted some interesting swings of a student of his that looked to be mimicking this contact point. I may put a comment in that thread, but just curious, is that a teach to get students more to the backside to get the right angles and eventual contact point? Or is it truly where the contact point is wanted? I hear alot about putting the tee back farther in the stance to promote this in practice. Was curious why and if a tee out a bit farther is actually better.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
"i have a terrible extended hands away from body rotational swing that looks absolutely terrible. "

Slow pitch is different. It is more like golf. Extended hands are a good thing. Longer levels.
I agree, i saw something that FFS posted a while ago on exit speeds for slow pitch, and the hitter was totally rotational trying to get as much speed as possible. It's easier as the ball is lobbed in and should be very easy to hit. I will admit i struck out more than i would like to admit. Alcohol may have had something to do with it though. :cool:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
"i have a terrible extended hands away from body rotational swing that looks absolutely terrible. "

Slow pitch is different. It is more like golf. Extended hands are a good thing. Longer levels.
Also curious why so many compare the fastpitch swing to golf. i get there are some similarities but i just dont feel the same thing. I actually tried to hit some balls in the back yard and tried the one legged, front leg and back leg. Actually felt more power front leg. Seemed to get more tension into the swing.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
These two you posted are DiCarlo correct? I like her form. I think Antonelli did a breakdown of her. No denying her stats either. If i recall from some videos of her, she moved forward fairly balanced then allow her torso to lag back as she launched allowing for the good tilt and barrel turn. She doesn't look as jammed as Trout but also not as extended as Miggy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32