Ichiro PB.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
While watching the Yankees & White Sox game last evening the announcer was discussing watching Ichiro take PB. He according to the announcers had a pitcher throw extremely hard from 25 feet. They advised he hit some balls 400 feet.

I had DD and some others (who I felt could benefit from this PB drill) do this with a 70 MPH baseball pitching machine. It really helps to develop quickness to the ball and quick hands. :cool:

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not sure what PB stands for.
Peanut butter.....duh. :)
On a serious note, I did a similar drill with my dd in our cage all spring and early summer. Set up at about 30' with the jugs set at 65 mph... she got to where she was hitting consistently! But the down side is, she now hits everything into the 3B dugout and God help us if the pitcher can't throw at least 55mph, cuz every pitch she's two days early like a perfect change up where the batter is so fooled the front leg turns to jelly..... yeah that's my kid :(

Oct 19, 2009
I combined the drill with front toss, and live pitching from me, it has worked for me so far.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
One of DD's prior hitting coaches cautioned about putting her in a 65mph cage stating that mechanics break down as she trys to catch up to the speed. This was when she was facing 50mph pitching. Now that she is seeing some 60 it might not be such a big deal but I'd definitely want to keep an eye on the mechanics.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sounds like a drill that would help acclimate a hitter to faster speeds and less reaction time, but I would be concerned about some side effects. For one, the events that take place prior to toe touch (all those loading and coiling and weight transferring) should not be rushed. A drill like this might give you no choice but to rush.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Ichiro's dad used to have him do something similar as a kid. If I remember right he used to hit off a machine cranked up at short distance.

If I'm not mistaken Barry Bonds had a different but similar routine where he would take one step closer to the machine every time he hit a ball.

As for rushing I think this is probably a better drill for someone who already has good mechanics. Probably not something you want to do with a girl who is already struggling but does seem like a great way to get accustomed to speed.

Jul 26, 2010
We always call that the Barry Bonds drill around here, like SweetLou said, they take a step or three closer each pitch until they're 10 feet or so away from the machine.

It's a drill, it's fun, kids swing the bat and hit balls. That's about where the usefulness begins and ends.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz