I have a problem with some league rule, what do you think?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am back coaching in the the organization that my youngest DD played in years ago and I help established the softball program in. The registration numbers for the rec league have fallen because of various problems over the past few years and is just beginning to recover. The rec teams play a in a league with other organizations that only have a few teams. I know from experience that you have to "dumb down" the rules in rec leagues, but how much is too much?
Two rules trouble me in the 12u league. One is what they call a reset rule. If the pitcher throws a strike, they remove all the balls from the count!( e.g. if the count is 3-0 and the pitcher throws a strike the count becomes 0-1.)Now I never have had a problem with my pitchers throwing strikes, I just have had a problem with them throwing chuck and duck pitches, so I feel this will give me an advantage. But I think the rule is dumb just the same, even though I can live with it.
The one that really kills me is the lead off rule. There is no stealing: that's fine, its a rec league. They allow players to leave on the pitch but they only allow the player to go 8 feet from the bag. I remember having trouble in the past getting the girls off the base, they use it as a security blanket. I feel this is too short and difficult for the umpires( I was a ump in a past life. LOL)and teaches players to stick close to the bag, a bad habit to break. I am going to address these rules at the coaches meeting, but I feel that the fact that this is my first year in this league, it will fall on deaf ears. Anyone have any suggestions or have heard of similar "dumb down" rules?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If they cannot steal, what difference does it make how far the runners get off the base?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I can ALMOST understand the "no stealing" rule - at 10U. No way at 12U, even in rec leagues...
RESET RULE? Such a thing really exists at 12U? I would rather see a "maximum score per inning" rule, in our rec league at 10U there exists such a rule. At 12U, the mercy rule is good enough.

I personally have trouble with both of the rules that you mentioned.

May 11, 2009
I too don't understand leading off at all. Especially if they are not going to allow them to steal. When we were still doing rec ball we actually tried to get the rules changed so it was a little closer to school ball rules and ASA rules so if any of those kids did move up to school ball it was not such a huge step for them. I have never heard of the reset rule....WOW. But hey I live in Iowa and we are not the sharpest tacks in the box!! I do like having the run rule in rec ball.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I have never encountered anything that you just stated. I'd like to say that I've been around and seen a lot. The reset rule is not fair to the batters and what is it teaching the pitchers? Rec league is designed for kids to have fun, but it also prepares children for travel ball. If they don't allow you to steal and have a reset rule, that is not getting them anywhere in their later softball careers at the travel or high school level. You aren't learning defensive hitting such as how to hit in situations where the count is 3-0 or how to hit when it is 2-2 because half the time the number of balls is being wiped away. Our rec 10U steals, just as the 16U does. As it leaves the pitcher's hand they are gone. No need to baby them, honestly.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Just so you know, I have a problem with these rules too. And as far as why lead off when you can't steal, if we are going to bunt I want that runner off the base as far as she can be. It also helps to have her 10 to 15 feet off the base when the ball is hit, that's 15 feet less she has to go and helps to beat out a close play. If I had my way they would be stealing 2nd and 3rd in the rec league and would have a mercy rule. They do have a 12 batter per inning rule.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is the town playing baseball with these same rules? If not, then that would really be a problem.

These girls can play softball, just give them a chance.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I totally agree with you Amy. If you expect a little that's what you'll get. If you expect a lot. you may not get everything you want , but you will get more than just a little!

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Good luck getting the rules changed......I would probably find a new organization, even if it meant driving. If thats the kind of mentality thats running your local league, you probably arent going to get a quick fix of changing 2 rules. JMO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid