I Feel Stupid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Ok, GDD did not have a tournament this weekend so I did the next best thing, watched ALL the CWS games on tv.

I forget which game it was but the pitch hit the knob of the bat and went fair. The pitcher picks the ball up and fires to first beating the runner. There was some discussion on whether the ball hit the batter or the bat. Home plate umpired ruled correctly (thank God for replay so I was sure) that the ball hit the knob of the bat but just called it a strike. The announcer said the umpire ruled foul ball because the ball hit foul first and then rolled into fair territory. I'm not sure where the announcer got her information.

I always thought it was a fair ball if the ball hit foul and then rolled into fair territory before it past first or third base it was a fair ball.

Please tell me I'm not old and senile. :D

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ok, GDD did not have a tournament this weekend so I did the next best thing, watched ALL the CWS games on tv.

I forget which game it was but the pitch hit the knob of the bat and went fair. The pitcher picks the ball up and fires to first beating the runner. There was some discussion on whether the ball hit the batter or the bat. Home plate umpired ruled correctly (thank God for replay so I was sure) that the ball hit the knob of the bat but just called it a strike. The announcer said the umpire ruled foul ball because the ball hit foul first and then rolled into fair territory. I'm not sure where the announcer got her information.

I always thought it was a fair ball if the ball hit foul and then rolled into fair territory before it past first or third base it was a fair ball.

Please tell me I'm not old and senile. :D

With replay, it should have been a fair ball. Umpire called foul, but I don't think for the reason the talking heads offered. It seemed the indication the PU made to the coach is that it hit the batter's hand/wrist/arm (take your pick) after it hit the knob of the bat. But, like I said, we have replay, the umpires did not.

Nov 29, 2009
I watched several of the games as well. I was watching the game you mentioned. The ump completely blew that call unless she said it hit off of the batters foot. The ball did appear to go almost straight down. If that ball caught any of the hitter's hand she would have been down or at least reacting to being hit on the hand.

She had another one that looked equally bad. The call where she said it hit the tip of the batters helmet. If it hit the helmet the batter would have been running to first. NOT standing there waiting to get into the box for the next pitch.

The woman who umpired that game was absolutely horrendous behind the plate. She looked lost out there. I doubt she will ever work another big time game again in her career.

The call the MIZZOU coach got tossed on was another example of a bad call the ump made then making it even worse by not taking the deserved verbal commentary on the call by tossing the coach.

I didn't watch all the games, but of those I did watch I would give the officiating a well deserved C-. Not what it should be at that level. These are supposed to be some of the best umpires around. I didn't see it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I watched several of the games as well. I was watching the game you mentioned. The ump completely blew that call unless she said it hit off of the batters foot. The ball did appear to go almost straight down. If that ball caught any of the hitter's hand she would have been down or at least reacting to being hit on the hand.

She had another one that looked equally bad. The call where she said it hit the tip of the batters helmet. If it hit the helmet the batter would have been running to first. NOT standing there waiting to get into the box for the next pitch.

The woman who umpired that game was absolutely horrendous behind the plate. She looked lost out there. I doubt she will ever work another big time game again in her career.

Isn't is amazing that out of hundreds of decisions an umpire makes during the course of a game, that people have to hang a hat on 1-2% just to make themselves feel better? Its also amazing how people think they just pick and choose umpires as if they where just standing there waiting to work a game. I'm pretty sure just about every umpire on the fields this past weekend have had bigger, more important games in their lives and will in the future.

The call the MIZZOU coach got tossed on was another example of a bad call the ump made then making it even worse by not taking the deserved verbal commentary on the call by tossing the coach.

Actually, I understand the call as would anyone who had a view from 6' off the ground in the RHBB. Did replays show it was incorrect? Yeah, seems like they did, but the umpire doesn't have the luxury of sitting back and watching a replay a half dozen times to make a decision. Unfortunately, the error was caused by the defense and F3's inability to make the correct play. It was her hand over and near the ball that cause the call.

I agree the call was not correct and the coach did just as poor a job at handling himself as you claim the umpire did on the call. Allegedly, he is a professional coach. He knew before he left his position that the call wasn't going to be changed and instead of giving an opinion and voicing concern over continuing calls, he chose to act like an rear. For a second, I thought I was watching a slow-pitch game. So much for professional. The sad part is how people think it is permissible to be a jerk and dehumanizing idiot over something as trivial as sports.

I don't know if Earlywine said a magic word or that right-cross that got him tossed, but there is little doubt he deserved to go.

I didn't watch all the games, but of those I did watch I would give the officiating a well deserved C-. Not what it should be at that level. These are supposed to be some of the best umpires around. I didn't see it.

Don't know why you would think they are the best around. Some of the best and certainly good enough to work this level of ball. Then again, you only grade off a negative. If coaches carried the decision-making percentages these umpire do, they could write their own check at much higher levels than this.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Isn't is amazing that out of hundreds of decisions an umpire makes during the course of a game, that people have to hang a hat on 1-2% just to make themselves feel better? Its also amazing how people think they just pick and choose umpires as if they where just standing there waiting to work a game. I'm pretty sure just about every umpire on the fields this past weekend have had bigger, more important games in their lives and will in the future.

These are supposed to be some of the best umpires in DI softball, not some person doing in-house. The routine calls are expected to be made correctly. That is a given. It's the tough calls they need to get right. That is what is expected of a top official. They are held to a higher standard of performance. That is why they are working these games. It's the 1-2% difference that makes the difference between the average and the great officials.

It has NOTHING to do with "feel better." I'm not a fan of either team. I was watching the games for my own enjoyment. BTW, I like to see officials make a right call on a tough play.

Don't know why you would think they are the best around.

This is the NCAA's top show for softball with a national audience. Why wouldn't they have their best officials there?

Then again, you only grade off a negative.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Similar to gymnastics scoring, each participant starts with an expected perfect score. Deductions are made from there depending on performance. So I hope for an umpire to be perfect. It makes scoring easy.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
These are supposed to be some of the best umpires in DI softball, not some person doing in-house. The routine calls are expected to be made correctly. That is a given. It's the tough calls they need to get right. That is what is expected of a top official. They are held to a higher standard of performance. That is why they are working these games. It's the 1-2% difference that makes the difference between the average and the great officials.

It has NOTHING to do with "feel better." I'm not a fan of either team. I was watching the games for my own enjoyment. BTW, I like to see officials make a right call on a tough play.

As do I since the umpires are the only people of which I am a fan. Really don't care who wins or loses the game. And as an umpire, I look at the game differently than most softball fans with full knowledge of what the umpire is or is not seeing and how much time s/he has to make a call. The second biggest critic of an umpire is another umpire. The biggest is the umpire himself.

This is the NCAA's top show for softball with a national audience. Why wouldn't they have their best officials there?

Because there is politics and preconceptions and a complicated process, they get the best umpires that are available, but it doesn't mean they are the "best" officials. But that pertains to all sports and levels. Not everyone has the ability or desire to leave family and job for extended periods of time to umpire softball. There are a load of great umpires out there that either don't get the opportunity due to where or which conferences they work or they don't get seen by the right people at the right time.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they have some great umpires, but I am reluctant to use the term "best" since you never really know.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Similar to gymnastics scoring, each participant starts with an expected perfect score. Deductions are made from there depending on performance. So I hope for an umpire to be perfect. It makes scoring easy.

No, problem, let's start keeping score of all the mistakes the players and coaches make and apply your disgust equally. :) You can start with that 3rd baseman who caused the problem by not making a play easily executed at the 12U level.

I also love the "smart" coaches who are "working" the umpire. MYTH! All you are doing is pissing the umpire off by whining and bickering over trivial, non-existent issues instead of coaching the players in front of him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2009
No, problem, let's start keeping score of all the mistakes the players and coaches make and apply your disgust equally. You can start with that 3rd baseman who caused the problem by not making a play easily executed at the 12U level.

I think calling it "disgust" is quite harsh. Disappointment would be a more accurate description.

The 3rd baseman did something that was unexpected and the umpire let himself be fooled because he anticipated what the player was going to do. After years of seeing players make the right plays an umpire can be lulled into thinking all of them will be correct. It was a perfect example of assuming.

What every high level umpire needs to do is to umpire some 10U games every once in a while. They will keep you on your toes. You can never assume anything with them.

One of the best umpires I know told me he likes to do the young kids every so often. He said that level is a great reminder to observe the play first, then make the call because you NEVER know what they will do with the ball, hitting or base running.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I think calling it "disgust" is quite harsh. Disappointment would be a more accurate description.

The 3rd baseman did something that was unexpected and the umpire let himself be fooled because he anticipated what the player was going to do. After years of seeing players make the right plays an umpire can be lulled into thinking all of them will be correct. It was a perfect example of assuming.

What every high level umpire needs to do is to umpire some 10U games every once in a while. They will keep you on your toes. You can never assume anything with them.

Now who is making the assumption? To the best of my knowledge, he believed she touched the ball. Just because we believe it was wrong, doesn't mean the umpire doesn't believe his eyes. Cannot tell you how many times umpires look at a play, see a players foot touching the far side of the base, or were they?

One of the best umpires I know told me he likes to do the young kids every so often. He said that level is a great reminder to observe the play first, then make the call because you NEVER know what they will do with the ball, hitting or base running.

See, there is another misconception that some have. Many of these umpires still work local youth games, hs games and some a fair amount of SP. You want practice in dealing with the unexpected, SP is the place to find it. Unfortunately, in some cases, this is held against the umpire and that is a shame. Some people have a tendency to forget from where they came.

I have an associate who a couple years ago worked two NPF games, a JO state tournament and Co-rec SP doubleheader and a church-league SP doubleheader in a 5 day span. If necessary, will work whatever game needs to be worked and does it well. Every game and player gets the exact same quality of game and attention no matter the age, level of play or game. That is the umpire I want on my field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan