Hypothetical pitching rotation question.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hypothetical question.....your team has already played 3 games on the day, and you are headed into the championship game. You have two pitchers, a #1 flame thrower who has already pitched two games and a #2 junk ball pitcher who has pitched one game.

Who do you start in the championship game (4th game of the day) knowing that you are going to have to use both pitchers? Do you start the flame thrower and ride her until she wears out, or do you start the junk baller and bring in the flame thrower as a closer? Why?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Interesting JAD. I guess the answer would be to ask more questions, like have you faced the team before and what were the outcomes, who pitched in those games, how well your pitchers are feeling, ect....

But I have found that if I started the junkball first, then put in the flamethrower it didn't work as well as the other way around. Just seemed to me that starting the flamethrower then putting in the junkballer had girls swinging way early. Well at least through the batting order once :)

A little more info would be helpful, our team always seems to struggle against the slower junkball type pitchers at least first time through.

Just on the given information though I think you always go with #1, unless she pitched the last two games back to back in San Antonio in July, then maybe she needs a break. Even then, I would simply ask her how she is feeling and if she wants to pitch, then completely ignore whatever came out of her mouth and look at her body language and her eyes for the answer.

Mar 28, 2013
You need to answer a few questions to get your answer.
1,What kind of pitcher did the team see in the previous game. If the answer is flame thrower throw the junk baller as long as she remains affective. The speed change will work for a while.If the previous game had slower pitching throw the flame thrower first.

How aggressive or patient are the batters. If they are patient and the type that is thinking walk start the flame thrower and blow it by them till they come to the conclusion they have to swing then start throwing junk,
If they are aggressive in the box (like to eat) as we say start off by feeding them junk.When they decide they need to look for better pitches bring in the cannon.

I guess my point is do some recon and the right game plan will reveal itself.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Before you get to the point the flamethrower is 'worn out', she will become much less effective. Go with the junkballer first and change speeds constantly, from one pitch to the next, fast, slow and in between.

If the flamethrower does have to come in, have her do the same thing.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Start #2 and go with her as long as you can. If #2 loses effectiveness, you've got to have a quick hook and make the change before the game gets out of hand. Switch to #1, if/when needed, and hope there's enough gas left to make it home. IMO, always play to your strengths, not the other team's weaknesses.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You need to answer a few questions to get your answer.
1,What kind of pitcher did the team see in the previous game. If the answer is flame thrower throw the junk baller as long as she remains affective. The speed change will work for a while.If the previous game had slower pitching throw the flame thrower first.

This was in a tournament and the team played their previous game at the same time we were playing, so we did not see what type of pitcher they faced.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Start #2 and go with her as long as you can. If #2 loses effectiveness, you've got to have a quick hook and make the change before the game gets out of hand. Switch to #1, if/when needed, and hope there's enough gas left to make it home. IMO, always play to your strengths, not the other team's weaknesses.

This is exactly what we did, but unfortunately we did not have a quick enough "hook" and we were down 0-6 with one out in the second inning after #2 pitcher game up a grand slam. Ended up losing 6-8. #1 pitched well when she came in, but she ran out of gas after 5 innings and gave up three bloop singles and we had a fielding error to give up the extra two runs.....this game ended up being for a berth to nationals when our tournament was cut short by rain on Sunday. Crappy way to lose, and the coaching staff has been "second guessing" ourselves ever since! LOL

Mar 28, 2013
This was in a tournament and the team played their previous game at the same time we were playing, so we did not see what type of pitcher they faced.

This is the one of the few ways you can involve one of your more knowledgeable Parents. especially one with a pocket Radar.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is the one of the few ways you can involve one of your more knowledgeable Parents. especially one with a pocket Radar.

Regardless, wouldn't change my approach. Play to your strengths, if it coincides or overlaps with the other team's weaknesses, great. If not, you go down having given it your best shot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26