How to tell a high school coach that she can't overuse my pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I was looking at different California CIF Sections websites to see when practices could start for softball. San Diego Section is Feb 11th and Central Coast Section is usually the last Monday in January. I couldn’t find a start date for practices for the Southern or Northern Sections.

As I said In an earlier post on this thread, Southern Section seems to allow teams to practice more than other sections, but I am surprised to hear there is an expectation for players to stay after practice for extra work for October practices when first contents aren’t to mid-February.
There are HS teams in So Cal that have been practicing for over a month and have played 3 or 4 games already. Our first game is Nov. 6th in HB. We have not even practiced as a team. Small group practices (infielders or freshman hitting, etc.)

Jan 22, 2011
There are HS teams in So Cal that have been practicing for over a month and have played 3 or 4 games already. Our first game is on Nov. 6th in HB. We have not even practiced as a team. Small group practices (infielders or freshman hitting, etc.)

I almost tagged you in my post. I didn't realize there was a High School fall ball in Southern California. With all the tournaments that go on in Southern California from mid-October to Thanksgiving, how many of the travel players play for their High School teams in the fall?

My DD graduated, so it doesn't affect me. I am just amused that it sounds like So Cal teams can have full practices in the fall, and when I wanted to do some fall work with pitchers/catchers and do some hitting work, I was told I could only work with 4 or 5 girls at a time.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
They are weekday games arranged by coaches. Not sure of practice rules but most HS are having practices now. DDs school is lift and agility with small group once a week if that. They also do a book read day.

Aug 15, 2021
I was looking at different California CIF Sections websites to see when practices could start for softball. San Diego Section is Feb 11th and Central Coast Section is usually the last Monday in January. I couldn’t find a start date for practices for the Southern or Northern Sections.

As I said In an earlier post on this thread, Southern Section seems to allow teams to practice more than other sections, but I am surprised to hear there is an expectation for players to stay after practice for extra work for October practices when first contents aren’t to mid-February.
I am in So Cal and there are girls on my DD's travel teams that are currently practicing 5 days a week outside of their softball PE class (so after school) and have a Fall ball schedule where they are playing scrimmages with other schools.

Jan 25, 2022
I have never had pitchers throw BP to the team and it remains wild to me that coaches actually do this.

An intrasquad scrimmage or something, sure, but BP? That's what coaches are for.

Not even to help newer hitters learn to face a real pitcher? I feel like a few at-bats worth of intersquad pitches isn't enough for a kid to learn. We coaches do the short pitching but none of us can throw an actual windmill. Thats on my short list of things to be able to do by spring though. Even just a walk through version.

Jan 22, 2011
Not even to help newer hitters learn to face a real pitcher? I feel like a few at-bats worth of intersquad pitches isn't enough for a kid to learn. We coaches do the short pitching but none of us can throw an actual windmill. Thats on my short list of things to be able to do by spring though. Even just a walk through version.
There are two aspects of why in general folks don’t want to have pitchers throw “batting practice.”. You don’t want to tire pitchers out and pitchers never should be throwing easy to hit pitches. They should be working on their pitches and getting outs. That if why folks say intersquad scrimmages where pitchers pitch to 3 or 4 hitters in game situations.

When I was looking at information for a college “team manager” or “grad assistant coach”, the number one requirement was being able to pitch batting practice.

Last year my DD’s high school team had an AC who couldn’t be there everyday, but was an ex college pitcher who pitched batting practice. The last few years my DD played she didn’t want to pitch in games, but was willing to throw batting practice occasionally.

Jan 25, 2022
There are two aspects of why in general folks don’t want to have pitchers throw “batting practice.”. You don’t want to tire pitchers out and pitchers never should be throwing easy to hit pitches. They should be working on their pitches and getting outs. That if why folks say intersquad scrimmages where pitchers pitch to 3 or 4 hitters in game situations.

When I was looking at information for a college “team manager” or “grad assistant coach”, the number one requirement was being able to pitch batting practice.

Last year my DD’s high school team had an AC who couldn’t be there everyday, but was an ex college pitcher who pitched batting practice. The last few years my DD played she didn’t want to pitch in games, but was willing to throw batting practice occasionally.

Having a coach who can throw actual semi-speedy windmill pitches would be like winning the lottery here. They did have one here a few years ago but she lasted through spring practice and about a third of the game season before there was a blowup and she quit. The players basically threatened to mutiny.

I really would like to get to the point that I can do it. I instruct pitching so surely I can get to walk-throughs under my own tutelage. I was getting it decently a couple years ago but took a shot to the hand that derailed me completely. Couldn't even carry a jug of milk for a few months. This has given me the resolve to get back to working on it..lol

Jun 18, 2023
Having a coach who can throw actual semi-speedy windmill pitches would be like winning the lottery here. They did have one here a few years ago but she lasted through spring practice and about a third of the game season before there was a blowup and she quit. The players basically threatened to mutiny.

I really would like to get to the point that I can do it. I instruct pitching so surely I can get to walk-throughs under my own tutelage. I was getting it decently a couple years ago but took a shot to the hand that derailed me completely. Couldn't even carry a jug of milk for a few months. This has given me the resolve to get back to working on it..lol

Like we tell the girls..reps!

I've been following along with my daughter as she's learned, and can just about fake it. At 10u though I don't actually have to throw hard, and the kids don't really need to see speed as much as they need to see reps of the ball going through a windmill and coming out that way. It's quite the workout!

Jan 25, 2022
Like we tell the girls..reps!

I've been following along with my daughter as she's learned, and can just about fake it.

Best windmill pitch I ever threw was to the 300lb grown man with a ghost that sent it back at my face, which ended up hitting my wrist and turning my whole hand and half my arm brown with internal bleeding.

My daughter said "it hit so hard a puff of dirt came off your hand."

Attachments

• Arm 2.jpg
    Arm 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 22
Jun 18, 2023
Best windmill pitch I ever threw was to the 300lb grown man with a ghost that sent it back at my face, which ended up hitting my wrist and turning my whole hand and half my arm brown with internal bleeding.

My daughter said "it hit so hard a puff of dirt came off your hand."

yeah, I'll stick to pitching to 75lb girls. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid