how to appeal call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It does make a difference. To be valid the verbal appeal must come from the player. And, absent an active play in progress or a runner actively trying to scramble back to the bag, where it's obvious as to what's being appealed, the player is going to have to be specific as to which runner is being appealed and for what violation.

As for the rest of the procedure, I've already posted that as it relates to a live ball or dead ball appeal. Here's a tip for you: If at all possible, it is to your advantage to make a dead ball appeal. On this play, since all of the playing action had stopped you could have asked for time, then had your player make the appeal after it was granted. Why is this better? Because if it's a live ball appeal and the player throwing the ball over to the base makes a bad throw, any other runners may freely advance. Or, if the runner who left early is still on the field, she could go back and touch the base before the loose ball gets retrieved. Plus, if the ball gets thrown out of play, then any other runners will receive a two base award! None of that can happen during a dead ball appeal.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
It does make a difference. To be valid the verbal appeal must come from the player. And, absent an active play in progress or a runner actively trying to scramble back to the bag, where it's obvious as to what's being appealed, the player is going to have to be specific as to which runner is being appealed and for what violation.

As for the rest of the procedure, I've already posted that as it relates to a live ball or dead ball appeal. Here's a tip for you: If at all possible, it is to your advantage to make a dead ball appeal. On this play, since all of the playing action had stopped you could have asked for time, then had your player make the appeal after it was granted. Why is this better? Because if it's a live ball appeal and the player throwing the ball over to the base makes a bad throw, any other runners may freely advance. Or, if the runner who left early is still on the field, she could go back and touch the base before the loose ball gets retrieved. Plus, if the ball gets thrown out of play, then any other runners will receive a two base award! None of that can happen during a dead ball appeal.

thanks for clearing up the rule....and great advice

May 14, 2010
So it's not a legal appeal when I yell from the dugout, "Hey, Blue. I gotta appeal that crappy call you just made against my team. You clearly need your glasses checked! Can we check with that other bozo?"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan