How fast?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Anyone ever have a slow team?
Ha. Yes. About every year.
I think that 3.25 is decent speed for a 10U girl, to first base. Any faster than that and you will notice that she is fast.
You better teach them to hit, if they are really slow.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you have a slow team, I'd offer the consolation that speed matters less in 10U than in older divisions, IMO. The 10U game is won and lost by throwing strikes, putting the ball in play and making routine defensive plays. If you can't do that, speed doesn't help you that much. Once they get older, most everybody is throwing strikes and putting the ball in play and making routine plays, so speed then becomes something that can separate some teams from others.

To answer your question, I think I remember my 10U team having maybe three girls who could break 15.0 seconds first to home. And I didn't consider my team that fast. But that was a few years ago, and I can't remember whether it was first-year or second-year 10U. Might've been the rec tryouts. I don't recall for sure. :)

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My 10U team's average home-1st speed is 4.25 seconds. Home-home average is 15.1 seconds. The fastest girl on the team is at 3.9 and 14.1, respectively.

We measure these speeds every two weeks, these are the most recent numbers. We are not by any means a fast team, but the fastest girl is very quick for a 10 year old. A 3.25 seconds home to first time would be blazingly quick.

May 31, 2012
We had 2 kids that could fly. 3.5 home to 1. Both were around 13 home to home. Other kids 3.8-4.3 home to 1. 15-18 home to home. Tight turns make big difference.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wow. And I thought my teams were slow. I can't imagine even the slowest girl taking 4 second to get to first base. I think that I can get there in 4 seconds. (Now I want to find out.) :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was playing SS and came in on the ball and made a good hard throw to 1st. she looked great. Runner was walking back to 1st base when the throw got there. I think the batter/runner broke the sound barrier running to 1st.

May 25, 2010
I know fast when I see it and everything else is slow. In 10u, an average runner can often beat out a throw from deep 3B's backhand. A fast runner beats out the throw from the SS's backhand.

May 18, 2009
Wow. And I thought my teams were slow. I can't imagine even the slowest girl taking 4 second to get to first base. I think that I can get there in 4 seconds. (Now I want to find out.) :)

I watched girls getting timed yesterday. 3.3 was about the fastest to 1st. 13.3 from home to home. Averages were 4.1 to first and 15-18 home.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My DD is very quick. Contact to first was 3.8 at tryouts for an A class 10u team. She was the quickest contact to first, contact to second, and contact to home. Her time all the way around was 15.3 I believe.

Our team is an 03 team all first year tens. We have played 02 teams on which she would be fourth or fifth fastest. The year makes a big difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl