Home to first: Whta's fast?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
under 3.0 is good....my DD is considered "pretty quick" at 2.85...."fast" is 2.7 or better

Mar 11, 2009
Md daughter was at a team workout with Candrea and Nicholson both there watching two weeks ago. She was hitting 2.7 and 2.8 home to first from ball to bat contact to touching first....Both coaches said they would like to see our slappers get into the 2.69 and below consistently.

Jul 28, 2008
A local girl here is 2.65 to 1st. She's in the crazy fast category.

That time was taken at Surf City Camp.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It is all how you measure it. NFCC all use a flat 60 foot dash, not bat contact. There are 3,000 plus times posted. Few under 3.00
DD hit 2.84 second fatest in a camp of over 100 kids. Few measure like you are doing above. Anyone can google it and see posted times all over the country. I have been going to slapping camps for over 10 years and we must have slow runners based on some times posted on here. I know what Natasha Watley and Laura Berg run it in , since the dd worked with Laura. Times above are faster that her are hard to understand?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2011
How do you measure time from home to first? Is it from the batting stance from a player's respective batter's box?

What's a good time for a college player? What about high school?

Is this the most important measure of speed for a softball player?

At the DiMarini camp in Chicago two winters ago a high school freshman who now plays for the Beverly Bandits ran a sub 11.4 home-to-home. She was by far the fastest home-to-home at the camp but was only about the 85-90th percentile home-to-first. She is actually not a blazer home-to-first as she's "only" about a 2.75-2.8 from the left side but she is an incredibly efficient base runner, which helps the home-to-home.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Here is an interesting article I found on "measureables" and softball recruiting.

Softball Athletic Skill Measurable

Division I Softball:

Similar to baseball, the typical DI softball players are ‘polished’ and possess the necessary tools to be successful as freshman. Most DI players come from large high schools or play on elite club teams. Many of these high school and club programs are considered the best in their area or in the state. In addition, most DI players have been awarded accolades such as All Area, All County, or All State.

Pitchers: 60 – 63 + MPH; command of at least 3 pitches; sub 1.00 ERA
Catchers: 1.8 Pop Time or below, superior leadership ability
Middle Infielders: 3.0 or less Home to 1st
Corner Infielders: 3.0 or less Home to 1st, tremendous power potential
Centerfielders: 2.8 or less Home to 1st
Corner Outfielders: 2.9 or less Home to 1st, tremendous power potential

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors