High Speed Video Cam

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Bingo... I have a Cannon DSLR for taking pictures... this is for the SOLE purpose of capturing video for sports analysis... I can control lighting.

What the specs say it will do and what it WILL actually do are two different things. Both videography and photography starts with the quality of the lens, and then a body/processor that can capture the image(s). A crappy lens on a $4k canon DSLR will still give you crappy results.

I don't own the camera that you linked to, but I would be shocked that a sub $300 camera could produce 1000fps that is of any good quality.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
What the specs say it will do and what it WILL actually do are two different things. Both videography and photography starts with the quality of the lens, and then a body/processor that can capture the image(s). A crappy lens on a $4k canon DSLR will still give you crappy results.

I don't own the camera that you linked to, but I would be shocked that a sub $300 camera could produce 1000fps that is of any good quality.

If you had the processor ...lets say a cannon 7D ...(shoots 1000fpm) whats the best lens I could start out with ? It would be used in a controlled space for P/C analysis, and would need to be able to pay its way at weddings, senior pics... ect THX

Nov 14, 2011
For short distances you could use the 24-70 F2.8L. For long distances I normally use the 70-200 F2.8. Keep in mind that the lower the "F" number the faster the lens (in general). The "L" lenses are Canon's top of the line lenses. If you have a controlled environment where you can get tons of lighting you can move towards the F3.5-F4.0 area. If you are interested in a 70-200 F2.8 I have an extra one that I would be willing to sell. I have a few lenses lying around, so if you are looking for some camera gear, shoot me a PM and we can discuss options.

BTW - The Canon 7d is NOT a 1000fps body. It shoots at 50fps. The advantage of using the 7D is the opportunity to use Canon "L" lenses for both photo & video.

Canon EOS 7D SLR Digital Camera (Body Only) 3814B004 B&H Photo

Nov 14, 2011
Yes I am. There are "plug ins" that work inside of software that will convert the 50fps to 250/500/1000fps but they are hard to use and take a ton of time. The most popular is Twixtor, but straight from the camera it will only shoot 50fps.

Canon DLC: Article: Harnessing the Power of the EOS 7D's video system

I have a Canon 7D, it will only shoot 50fps. Trust me, you don't want to, or have time to, covert a 50fps to 1000fps using any software. I have the plug-in that works inside of Photoshop and it isn't easy to use. The best advice is to find a camera that shoots faster than 50fps and leave the 7D for what it does well, and that is taking photos. 7D's are notorious for focus issues while shooting video anyways. I wouldn't recommend a 7D for video, especially sports video.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I got a Vixia HF S10 for video... pretty happy with it. The Nikon 1 j2 looked pretty good for the price. I just know Canon has something to match it ???

Nov 14, 2011
I'm sure they (Canon) do also, I just don't think a DSLR is the way to go. There are SO many video cameras available now. Who can keep up with all of them? Has anyone used a GoPro for this? Not sure on the specs but they have great ratings for sports video.

Nov 1, 2008
I told my wife I wanted a gopro3 before softball season. You can mount it and control it remotely using your smartphone or tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing