Help with not leaning over.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Hi i am a pitcher and i can't seem to keep my weight back. i need help with it does anyone have any excersizes i could be doing?
~THANKYOU~

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The "Carolina Walkthrough" is a good one. Do a walkthrough (start two steps behind the rubber, walk normally, then pitch when you cross the mound), except after you throw keep your right foot (assuming you are right handed) until the catcher returns the ball to you.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I think Sluggers meant to say "... after you throw, keep your right foot elevated (off the ground)..."
This is to force you to transfer your weight to the front/left foot, and keep your weight balanced over that foot -- this will keep you more upright and prevent lunging forward.
JimP

Oct 22, 2009
I use several drills for this common problem.

To add to the balance up on one leg drill, instead of taking steps prior to pitching you can just start about 3/4 distance and pitch leaving the leg leg up. --You can swing the left leg to get a little momentum-- Open up and then remain balanced at release. You can then back up and add a step, but continue to remain balanced at the end.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Check your front leg.

This is because your not on a firm front leg when you plant it after stride. When I say firm. I'm not talking about being locked out at landing. You need to learn to push back against that front leg as the rear leg drags forward to the front leg. This serves as a brake for your momentum going forward and then creates more whip of the arm as you come into release. At the finish of the pitch you should be tall, and up right. This will stop you from going nose over toes.

Try doing the coffee can drill that Hal recommends in his book. He put coffee can on the ground and had the pitcher place, her stride foot on the back edge of it, while in the K. position. This places the front shoulder up and puts the weight on the back leg, giving the pitcher a feeling of the correct position to release. If she leans foward the can will fall forward.

Another one. I like even better. I call the pop snap drill. I got this drill from Rita Lynn. It is similar to the K., only it's done backwards and it's kind of difficult when you first start learning it if you've been doing the K. drill for a while.

You start in the K. position then you allow the front leg to fall and flex a little making sure when you land it becomes firm. As you push back up on the front leg. You snap down with the arms. The focus should be on finishing with the weight back on the back leg and the front shoulder higher than the back shoulder.

Hope these help

Dana

Attachments

• follow.jpg
    follow.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 18
I use a waist belt and resistance tubing. Basically, I stand in front of the pitcher and pull her toward me forcing her to hit the breaks and create the Wall. This has been a very good drill to fix posture and resistance issues. Hope it helps!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Take a step and when your stride foot touches down, use it to push your body backwards 8 or 10 inches. You cant do that leaning forward, only leaning backwards.

Be on a slight backwards lean when your stride foot touches down when you practice and do the same thing, push your body backwards 8 or 10 inches.

Then do the same thing when you pitch.

You might have to change your style or stride length. How tall are you and what is your stride length?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck