Help with a rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Batter bunts the ball, 1st base is crashing to field bunt but catcher gets to ball before 1st baseman, 1st baseman makes contact with runner in fair territory running to first. Catcher makes the throw to first get the out but UMP calls OBS on 1st baseman and awards her 1st base. Is this the correct call ?

As with all these calls it is hard to tell without seeing it but given your description it sounds like the right call.

However there might be situations where this could be INT; it depends how far up the line the bunt is and if 1B is making a play on the ball, but given that the catcher fielded the ball this does not sound like the case.

Although I will defer to some of the more seasoned umps that frequent the board for a definitive answer and possible mitigating circumstances (given that I am still not sure I completely understand the "protected fielder" judgement).

May 16, 2010
If there is a safety lane runner needs to stay
in the lane. I have seen the bunter called out in this situation.
If no lane, it is OBS on F3

There are no safety zones for a batter-runner or runner, when a fielder is in the act of fielding a BATTED ball. The runner must run wherever she needs to, to avoid interfering with the fielder who is fielding the ball. The fielder fielding the BATTED ball, has all the rights to space. A runner is NOT out for running out of the base path, IF, it is to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field a BATTED ball.

If a fielder who is NOT fielding the ball, impedes the runner, it is obstruction.

In the original play posted, if the catcher had the ball when F3 made contact, then F3 obstructed.

The tricky part is who the ump judged as the protected fielder. Probably the catcher since she got the ball first. Only one fielder may be protected, all others must avoid the runner, and the runner must avoid the protected fielder.

Jun 22, 2010
The running lane has nothing, nada, zero, not one doggone thing, to do with obstruction. Jbooth has the right answer.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Absolutely the correct call.

The running lane to first base has nothing to do with this call and no rule says that the batter-runner must run in the running lane.

The "safety" lane is only so the runner can not be called out for interference of the fielder receiving the throw to 1B when they are in the lane. Think about this scenario it is a pop fly to first base that is drifting foul just short of the bag (in the "safety" lane), the batter must avoid the fielder even if it means running out of the base path or INT should be called they are not free to INT because they are in the "safety" lane.

Agree with the tricky part about protected fielder is it possible for the protected field to change in other words the catcher is protected but once it goes so far up the line that the 1B is closer can she then become protected? still not sure and guess it is always just a judgement of the umpire...but it could be that I am just dense.

Jun 22, 2010
The way I've always done it is this: at every moment of the play, somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking "who's the most likely fielder to make the play?" Then, if something happens that might be INT, I know who the protected fielder is at that moment. It can and will change during a play, but it's the moment of (possible) INT that counts.

Jul 21, 2008
To clear up situation a bit......ball was bunted down the first base line about 10ft down the line. 1st base and catcher were both attempting to play the ball. Runner made contact with 1st baseman ball had not ben fielded (hard to say who would have fielded the ball with out the contact)

May 16, 2010
To clear up situation a bit......ball was bunted down the first base line about 10ft down the line. 1st base and catcher were both attempting to play the ball. Runner made contact with 1st baseman ball had not ben fielded (hard to say who would have fielded the ball with out the contact)

Well, that makes it tough on the ump. The ump has to decide who to protect. It's a judgment call. He/she apparently protected the catcher in your play, so, the contact with F3 was obstruction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad