Heat and Headaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm not a Dr. but headaches and heat are a bad combo. That's often a sign of heat exhaustion that can get serious if you can't get her cooled down.

As others have noted, hydrate before hand. If headaches start I'd try cool wet towels as first.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Practices from 12-4 on weekends when you do not have tournaments is a big help. Our girls are just used to it. We run through several cases of water on a weekend. They know by staying hydrated we will have a competitive advantage during the championship game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here in Tucson, it is just impossible for me to drink enough water. I have one of the big jugs from Thermos. I have found bananas, cold orange slices, and dill pickles help me. I feel like I need sodium. I also feel like I need Ringer's Lactate through an IV (seriously.)

A lot of athletes don't like to drink water, because then they need to urinate. But they really need to drink and use the bathroom, to be healthy.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
We start hydration (water only) on Wednesday before a weekend tournament. I tell my girls that I want to see them urinating in the 9X's per day (Thursday & Friday) before the tournament. Sports drinks are to only be consumed after a game. We play in TN where it is not uncommon for temps to be in the mid to upper 90's with high humidity. Once we started this routine we have had little to no problems with headaches and dehydration. You can probably get by with less, but this is our goal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl