Heart Guard and Commotio Cordis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
This is from the 2007 study

ipej070235-06.jpg

Also from the 2007 study

"Since being initiated in 1996, the United States Commotio Cordis Registry (USCCR - Minneapolis, Minnesota) has now accrued more than 180 cases [3-5]. As awareness of this phenomenon grows, CC is being reported with increasing frequency, with most cases in the registry (75%) clustered from the years 1988 to present [6]. However, the actual incidence remains unknown as many cases are still likely missed due to continued lack of recognition and underreporting. "

From an article written in 2012 ( Medscape: Medscape Access )

" While only 216 instances have been reported to the US Commotio Cordis Registry (as of 2012),[2, 3] this is probably a considerable underestimation of its true incidence since this entity still goes unrecognized in many instances and continues to be underreported. "

From 2007 to 2012, there has been an increased incidence report of almost 17% and the experts are still claiming that it is being seriously underreported due of lack of recognition. Granted, this is not limited to only the sports of Baseball and Softball but they do have the highest incidence of all of the sports. Combine that with the statistics of other studies done about Softball and Baseball where they claim, on average, that a players takes a hard hit from a batted ball once in every 50 games played.

If you extrapolate the numbers, you are probably correct in saying what you have. However, there are several factors which will weigh in on this equation in the future (better swing mechanics being taught/hotter bats resulting in higher exit speeds, better pitching mechanics being taught resulting in faster pitching speeds thus resulting in even faster exit speeds off of the hotter bats, etc. etc.) and I fear, as others do, that this will only be an increasing occurrence; especially as it becomes more recognized for what it is.

While you may be correct in saying what you have, how would you feel if it was your kid that this happened to when you had this knowledge and the protective equipment available that you didn't make them use?

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
While you may be correct in saying what you have, how would you feel if it was your kid that this happened to when you had this knowledge and the protective equipment available that you didn't make them use?

The problem is they do not make equipment to protect against Commotio Cordis.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The problem is they do not make equipment to protect against Commotio Cordis.

Are you sure about that? All of these studies that have been done are based on the regular chest protectors used as everyday equipment that we see such as the catchers chest protectors. None that I have been able to find have been done on the new EvoShield or any of the new hard plastic heart guards such as this:

View attachment 5452

Although the manufacturers will make no claim to protect against (probably due to our overly litigious society should something weird happen) CC, it doesn't mean that they won't seriously reduce the risk.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Here is an article from 2012 that breaks it all down. Once you actually understand what Commotio Cordis is you understand how pointless the heart guards are.

Buy a defibrillator instead.

Broken Hearts: Stopping the killer of young athletes - SBNation.com

As with everything else I've read, the lacrosse player was wearing nothing more than the standard playing equipment very similar to a our catchers chest protector. All the articles claim the same thing when criticising the heart protection available; there is no proof that they work. Well, there's no proof that they don't work either...just most author's opinions that they won't. There are currently no set standards for testing nor an approved method to do so as I've read in several articles including the one you posted. The one common thread that is rampant throughout all of the studies and articles I have seen, you just mentioned. Administering CPR and using an AED within 3 minutes of the event offers the best chance of survival. Right now that is at a 40% survival rate but climbing. Obviously, the best method would be to not have it happen in the first place, Hopefully, they will get an approved method of testing and a uniform set of standards to manufacture a quality guard that we can put our faith in.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2013
I picked up a heartguard for my daughter more for the back protection than considering the heart protection. She tends to turn in fron inside pitches and take them on the back regularly.

Mar 24, 2014
Wearing some type of protective equipment is better than nothing. My younger DD is a pitcher and has worn the Evoshield razorback chest protector and loves it. She has got hit by pitches in front by turning in on inside pitches and also hit her in the kidney area where the Evoshield has the protective plates on the back. My older daughter also wears the Evoshield and plays the corners. Last summer took a hard "one hop" to the chest area, the ball bounced off the Evoshield and she made the play to first. Came off the field and said glad she was wearing it.

So, going on 3rd season wearing Evoshield and no problems with the apparel. Still wearing original shirts as well although thought I might get a second shirt for each of them.