Has the return of softball resulted in more Covid cases?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2012
Here in Ontario, we are struggling to get anything started for softball.

Curious what has been the experience in the states who have restarted? Have there been any outbreaks identified to have come as a result of practices and games being played?

Some areas of the country have seen a rise in cases, is any of that being linked to sports or is it from other activities.

Are any of the areas that restarted being shutdown again as case numbers rise?

Apr 30, 2018
We are playing All Stars here in Texas, but overall numbers in Texas are sky rocketing. I'll be shocked if it isn't all shut down again before the state tournament at the end of July. Governor just cut back outdoor gatherings from 500 people to 100 people.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

May 20, 2016
I'm in the north east and haven't heard of anything. But it's only been a few weeks since we've gotten back to playing and tournys are more glorified scrimmages not to keep the numbers of people at the fields low. Also a on parent rule for most of them,

Apr 28, 2014
A great deal case numbers depends on the state and where they are in their curve and testing levels.
We played this past weekend in Ohio. I didn't see a spike in Ohio. But who knows. I don't think softball is causing any more issues than protests where thousands of people get together. I don't care if people protest of go to softball games. America is a land of free choice. If you don't feel safe going out, then stay home.

Oct 4, 2018
One baseball team here in Georgia seems to have passed the virus to the players of the team. However, it could be that these families and boys feel safe with each other and do play dates, meals at restaurants, and other things. Hard to know...

The truly documented cases of passing Covid are all indoor activities: funerals, work conferences, etc.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Here in Ontario, we are struggling to get anything started for softball.

Curious what has been the experience in the states who have restarted? Have there been any outbreaks identified to have come as a result of practices and games being played?

Some areas of the country have seen a rise in cases, is any of that being linked to sports or is it from other activities.
Are any of the areas that restarted being shutdown again as case numbers rise?

Linked? Not yet. Will softball be linked or flagged or be a big deal? Probably not, even if something does happen.

Mainly because there are much worse environments that are also open or opening; bars, restaurants, indoor sports, summer camps, etc, etc. Some of these are being linked already and local governments are again starting to ramp up their requirements for certain businesses to stay open. Also something like a bar is going to be open every day with a constant rotation of people.

An outside sport such as softball where people are spread out even more than normal and even at a large event really doesn't have a lot of people directly interacting (40 teams is about 2,000 people and not all there at once - I am HIGHLY social as head of org/umpire/coach/parent so I know lots of people and even then I probably only directly interact with < 100 people for more than a quick hello and a wave over a weekend - most people probably only interact within their team)

That said; if the ICU's start to fill up beyond capacity, expect that softball will be lumped in with whatever action a government takes. it is unlikely they would bother separating it out.

Feb 15, 2017
There's a difference between symptomatic and asymptomatic cases, and the daily rates of death.

For the most part, the number of symptomatic cases continues to decline on a daily rate and so do deaths.

As more people are tested you are going to see more positive tests just from more of the population being tested the key is are the symptomatic or asymptomatic.

And the number of death's have been following Farr's rule (or law, don't remember) and any disease will quickly impact those most succceptable, which are the low hanging fruit and could have been felled by the seasonal flu as well.

In my state of Florida, over 80% of all cases come from nursing home patients and the majority of cases come from there counties.

One thing the remeber too is that we were told that the quarantine was to prevent the hospitals from getting overwhelmed. I'm not seeing huge spikes in ICU usage since restrictions have been eased.

And have others have said Softball is an outside sport and the virus doesn't like the heat and humidity like most flu viruses, so there is probably little risk in catching from spftball.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We've played 4 tourney's in NE Ohio and have decided to stay local to our and our neighboring counties this year. So far, the number of confirmed cases has remained low; as in maybe 2 new cases a day. There was a slight spike in our area when we first opened restaurants, bars, hair salons, etc., but even then, at least in our area, it never really got out of hand.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Linked to getting it at softball....who knows???

Yet now the one Nor Calif venue that was hosting games with guidelines for the past several weekends has cancelled next venues do to players on teams with positive tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00