Haley’s HLP lesson with Richard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Nothing personal, but for the love of God, I will never understand the reasoning behind a one legged swing. I will never get the logic of hitting off one leg when you have 2 legs. I will never understand being unbalanced when you could be balanced. In almost all other athletics/ sports athletes employ/leverage both legs. Why would hitting be any different. Nobody (I know of) would suggest pitching/throwing off one leg. You throw off one leg when you have to but it is not optimal. Same goes for tennis forehand.
One more problem I see with one legged swing is that it looks like it would put a lot of unnecessary pressure on lower back.

I appreciate you observations,comments, and concerns. You positive comments and support of Haley’s swings and growth as a player is always a pleasure to read.

Nothing personal or offensive taken.

I didn’t understand it either for lots of years until I started doing the drills with my kids. There’s something different between looking at a movement pattern of a player and actually doing and feeling it.

To be honest, nobody I know teaches this one legged stuff either but I’m not trying to convince or convert anyone. I’m posting to share with the ones that have an interest in the HLP pattern. I’ve made a lot of mistakes along the way and if my mistakes can help someone it’s worth sharing. I view everyone as a friend so, I welcome opposing comments as well , but this is for the few that want to learn and teach this. Like I said in the beginning, if there is no interest the post will die off and I’ll just post Haley’s senior year. I have a newbie, my granddaughter that I’m thinking of posting.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
In the quest to share my learning and experiences with teaching the HLP. I put a two minute video explaining the one legged swing. The challenge of teaching any hitting method is the multiple ways to interpret what is being shown or explained.

If you don't mind me asking Mike, How does it apply to the actual swing? For example the recent post of Haley on her thread.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California

The improved quickness of the swing including the stretch between the upper and lower body. I’m comparing her swing to her swings before focusing on the one legged drill. You can post a grown man and he’d obviously smoke her but in the world I live in I work with 10-18 yr. old girls.

We load and launch one legged but we use both legs in the swing. Do yourself a favor and don’t get hung up on one or two legged swing. A lot of it has to do with timing and where your leveraging the stretch from. This understanding will help the two legged swing.

Attachments

• 2051452E-75AA-4F41-8222-D0A40BE3E764.png
    2051452E-75AA-4F41-8222-D0A40BE3E764.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When I first started I was shifting weight onto the front leg and dragging my back foot forward.

giphy.gif

(I don’t have the original no stride off the tee. This is a early swing off the tee with a stride)

After awhile the back foot stopped dragging. Eventually while working on being rear legged, I became two legged with no dragging of my back foot or just shifting my weight forward.

giphy.gif

Now I’m working on a deeper HPP while being one legged. It’s a work in progress.

giphy.gif

(and yes I lose the posture a little to much)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017

The improved quickness of the swing including the stretch between the upper and lower body. I’m comparing her swing to her swings before focusing on the one legged drill. You can post a grown man and he’d obviously smoke her but in the world I live in I work with 10-18 yr. old girls.

We load and launch one legged but we use both legs in the swing. Do yourself a favor and don’t get hung up on one or two legged swing. A lot of it has to do with timing and where your leveraging the stretch from. This understanding will help the two legged swing.

The bold above is not what I am focusing on. I was simply asking what the one legged drill does to add to the current swing she has. If its quickness, (reaction) and or stretch. Then great.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Sorry , for the bold, not intended to you but a general statement.
The one legged swing promotes balance. She has to move in a specific way to stay on one leg through the completion of the swing. Like throwing overhand , the body has to coordinate multiple body parts moving in different direction and timed in a specific way to get the best out of those moving parts.
When you work on individual movements, the work is not as good because each part is dependent on the previous and following parts, when you put the parts back together thing breakdown or get diluted. The one legged swing is the bridge drill we’ve all been looking for between good tee swings and live swings that breakdown.

Test it for yourself add one legged swing to your tee drills and in about a week your athlete will move better with a tighter swing pattern.

3A90EE3F-B06B-4F3B-8A06-A194212A19F2.pngF37A38B3-56AD-4571-AD67-0D05478F2A94.pngF0FC6A1B-DEEE-4189-A726-35EE7CED0BE8.pngCAD0C44B-46B5-4D5C-94A2-F839B0944404.pngA22E52B7-B1E3-4389-8652-924F5C9C8D1F.png

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Sorry , for the bold, not intended to you but a general statement.
The one legged swing promotes balance. She has to move in a specific way to stay on one leg through the completion of the swing. Like throwing overhand , the body has to coordinate multiple body parts moving in different direction and timed in a specific way to get the best out of those moving parts.
When you work on individual movements, the work is not as good because each part is dependent on the previous and following parts, when you put the parts back together thing breakdown or get diluted. The one legged swing is the bridge drill we’ve all been looking for between good tee swings and live swings that breakdown.

Test it for yourself add one legged swing to your tee drills and in about a week your athlete will move better with a tighter swing pattern.

View attachment 22315View attachment 22316View attachment 22317View attachment 22318View attachment 22319
So, it's learning to balance on one leg while swinging.

I guess the problem that I see,is that she does not stay on and over the rear leg. To swing on her normal swing, unless you are strictly speaking in terms of moving out, starting over the rear leg. Although maybe I'm just not grasping what you are saying, which very well could be the case LOL

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
It gets complicated to explain and interpret, I definitely could do a better job of explaining. I’ve noticed more bat speed and launch quickness. I attribute it to better stretch and timing of the parts that are stretched overcoming the stretch and creating the suddenness in the swing.

She is moving forward by coiling around the rear hip, she hold that coil by keeping weight in the rear hip pocket (butt cheek) until the leg snaps. She trying to stretch between the rear leg/ hip and not the toe touch of the front leg. the goal is to stay over or behind the rear leg, if she’s in front we’ve lost our coil and leverage. Here is the swing I believe your referring to, overall I’m happy with her posture. Please , if I didn’t answer you question give me another chance. Always appreciate the help.

07896A55-FADA-462E-A726-6EB39BD7B59A.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC