Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2022
Victorinox are pretty popular in professional kitchens for i bet 80% of tasks, they've been using the same X55CrMo14 steel forever and have the heat treat dialed. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge well. That said, we have whatever cheap a$$ garbage is on sale so I don't feel bad when the kids throw it in the dishwasher. They know not to use my knives.

May 20, 2015
finally put a small doe in the freezer last friday, been a slow year here.....hunting 95% dad's property, and it's a very narrow 58 acres, so lots of transition deer......been a HUGE acorn/mast year, so october hit and they jumped on acorns......which we don't have a ton of, albeit some........slow bow season, slightly better rifle season, but still nothing hugely regular......really hoping the bucks slow down on their thing next week and maybe hop back onto the green feed, or at least the does do......3.5 weeks left for more freezer filling......was down to about 45lbs before the season, and will only likely get 30-35 off that first one......

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
finally put a small doe in the freezer last friday, been a slow year here.....hunting 95% dad's property, and it's a very narrow 58 acres, so lots of transition deer......been a HUGE acorn/mast year, so october hit and they jumped on acorns......which we don't have a ton of, albeit some........slow bow season, slightly better rifle season, but still nothing hugely regular......really hoping the bucks slow down on their thing next week and maybe hop back onto the green feed, or at least the does do......3.5 weeks left for more freezer filling......was down to about 45lbs before the season, and will only likely get 30-35 off that first one......
Funny story about deer hunting.

My cousin flew up to Glenns Falls, NY to go deer hunting about ten years ago. As he was on final approach into the airport that evening, the previous plane that landed came in the radio and said beware if deer on the field. That's not uncommon for airports, but you're taught to use caution and keep an eye open anyway. As the twin engine Cessna is about to touch down, he hit a good sized buck with the right prop and sliced it in half.

Thankfully, they were about a foot off the ground on contact, so they landed safely, but his prop was destroyed. It cost him a few thousand dollars to get it replaced. When the emergency service guy came out to clean up the carcass, he asked if my cousin wanted it butchered. He said no, but the guy took it for himself. Who knows if it was any good, but my cousin said it was a clean slice.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
That would get the heart pumping for sure! My Dad was a private-pilot instructor when I was young. He taught my brother and I how to fly single engine planes. I can't imagine the sound or feeling that a prop hitting a deer would cause, even in a twin engine. Yikes. At least it was during landing and not take off.

When I lived in Oregon, I would hunt out of my Uncle's place in Grants Pass. It was not uncommon in the rural areas for people to hit crossing deer and, if in good enough condition, take them back home to be dressed and steaked out.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That would get the heart pumping for sure! My Dad was a private-pilot instructor when I was young. He taught my brother and I how to fly single engine planes. I can't imagine the sound or feeling that a prop hitting a deer would cause, even in a twin engine. Yikes. At least it was during landing and not take off.

When I lived in Oregon, I would hunt out of my Uncle's place in Grants Pass. It was not uncommon in the rural areas for people to hit crossing deer and, if in good enough condition, take them back home to be dressed and steaked out.
He said there was very little feel since it sliced right through the body.

May 20, 2015
another smaller doe in the freezer......i've got a statewide buck tag still open, a doe tag in a zone near school, and two weeks of muzzleloader starting today to go....

freezer is in ok shape for now......but it could be fuller ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06