Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
There is never a reason to apologize for posting a Rush song. I didn't get this song when it was first released, but I eventually came to love it. I realize now it was Neil's way of saying good-bye, even if he didn't know it at the time.
I think he did! The very last song on their very last studio album, yeah he knew! I also think it‘s an anthem for everyone to get their affairs and priorities in order.

This song and Natural Science are two songs I just either never listened to, wasn’t familiar with, or just didn’t know, and as a Rush fan since 1980, that’s pretty sad! I’ve listened to both of these songs at least once a day for the last six months!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think he did! The very last song on their very last studio album, yeah he knew! I also think it‘s an anthem for everyone to get their affairs and priorities in order.

This song and Natural Science are two songs I just either never listened to, wasn’t familiar with, or just didn’t know, and as a Rush fan since 1980, that’s pretty sad! I’ve listened to both of these songs at least once a day for the last six months!
Natural Science was always a favorite of mine, especially since I'm a drummer. But The Garden didn't resonate with me until after Neil died. It was only then I realized he was talking about his life. It's a truly brilliant song. As disappointed as I was with Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows, Clockwork Angels was a masterpiece.

Screenshot_20240704_224713_Brave.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Natural Science was always a favorite of mine, especially since I'm a drummer. But The Garden didn't resonate with me until after Neil died. It was only then I realized he was talking about his life. It's a truly brilliant song. As disappointed as I was with Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows, Clockwork Angels was a masterpiece.

View attachment 29795
Recently watched a video interview with Alex, he said they practice every song a million times, but he didn’t care for practicing Natural Science that often, he said it was easily one of their most complicated songs!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Always interested in Rush. As an old skool fan I am too often just stuck in the habit of listening to their early work and never really gave the newer stuff any real attention. I appreciate you guys sharing and discussing this. Now I might go put All the Worlds a Stage (vinyl of course) on my original Kenwood turntable, crank up the old Harmon Kardon 730 and blow out those JBl L40's!! ;-)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
There are probably only three or four Rush songs out of their whole catalog that I'll skip over. The rest is fantastic, they're that good.
Personally, "Losing it" is very moving and "Countdown" appeals to my youthful inner geek.
That Clockwork Angels live video they did is incredible.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Always interested in Rush. As an old skool fan I am too often just stuck in the habit of listening to their early work and never really gave the newer stuff any real attention. I appreciate you guys sharing and discussing this. Now I might go put All the Worlds a Stage (vinyl of course) on my original Kenwood turntable, crank up the old Harmon Kardon 730 and blow out those JBl L40's!! ;-)
Funny how some of that old stuff can still carry the load.
I've got a 34 year old Emerson microwave I use daily to heat my leftovers at work.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Rush wore MANY faces, but very talented faces! To me and my timeline of listening to Rush, there was two huge years, 1976's 2112, it opened a lot of American's eyes to what a deep, complicated, and talented band they were / are! Then there was 1981.....Moving Pictures!! This album shot them straight into the stratosphere, mainstream here we come!

And yes, I haven't forgot the great LP's in between those two listed above!

* All THE WORLD'S A STAGE.
* A FAREWELL TO KINGS.
* HEMISPHERES.
* PERMANENT WAVES.

All killer, very successful albums!

One note, the very popular songs on Moving Pictures....Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta (best car song ever) are no doubt just incredible songs!! But, most people (non-Rush fans) are missing out on the three best songs on the album, Camera eye, Vital Signs, and Witch Hunt. Actually got to make it four songs....YYZ!

Like you there was a gap, years, and things that got in the way, like softball. I've read before that the band said 2012's Clockwork Angels was the best work they've ever done! You have to be one dedicated Rush fan to be able to cover four decades of their work!

I still have...
EXIT...STAGE LEFT.
SIGNALS.
GRACE UNDER PRESSURE.
POWER WINDOWS.
HOLD YOUR FIRE, I think this is the last of their LP's I ever bought, pretty sure this is where it ended with me? I was watching their documentary "Time Stand Still" and at the very end while the credits are rolling they're playing this sing....I'm like what the heck is that?? I know it's Rush, I know it's Geddy's voice, but I've never heard it before! I went back and listened to it again and got some of the lyrics and Googled it, it was "The Garden" off of Clockwork Angels, I've never owned or heard this album, where the heck have I been?? What a fantastic song! This is part of that gap I was talking about, man talk about missing out!

I've rambled long enough.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There are probably only three or four Rush songs out of their whole catalog that I'll skip over. The rest is fantastic, they're that good.
Personally, "Losing it" is very moving and "Countdown" appeals to my youthful inner geek.
That Clockwork Angels live video they did is incredible.
Let's see if I can guess the songs.
1) Rivendell. I am a huge Tolkien fan, but this one is a snooze fest.
2) Madrigal. Just a boring song.
3) Tears. Another stinker.
4) Tai Shan.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Rush wore MANY faces, but very talented faces! To me and my timeline of listening to Rush, there was two huge years, 1976's 2112, it opened a lot of American's eyes to what a deep, complicated, and talented band they were / are! Then there was 1981.....Moving Pictures!! This album shot them straight into the stratosphere, mainstream here we come!

And yes, I haven't forgot the great LP's in between those two listed above!

* All THE WORLD'S A STAGE.
* A FAREWELL TO KINGS.
* HEMISPHERES.
* PERMANENT WAVES.

All killer, very successful albums!

One note, the very popular songs on Moving Pictures....Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta (best car song ever) are no doubt just incredible songs!! But, most people (non-Rush fans) are missing out on the three best songs on the album, Camera eye, Vital Signs, and Witch Hunt. Actually got to make it four songs....YYZ!

Like you there was a gap, years, and things that got in the way, like softball. I've read before that the band said 2012's Clockwork Angels was the best work they've ever done! You have to be one dedicated Rush fan to be able to cover four decades of their work!

I still have...
EXIT...STAGE LEFT.
SIGNALS.
GRACE UNDER PRESSURE.
POWER WINDOWS.
HOLD YOUR FIRE, I think this is the last of their LP's I ever bought, pretty sure this is where it ended with me? I was watching their documentary "Time Stand Still" and at the very end while the credits are rolling they're playing this sing....I'm like what the heck is that?? I know it's Rush, I know it's Geddy's voice, but I've never heard it before! I went back and listened to it again and got some of the lyrics and Googled it, it was "The Garden" off of Clockwork Angels, I've never owned or heard this album, where the heck have I been?? What a fantastic song! This is part of that gap I was talking about, man talk about missing out!

I've rambled long enough.
Man, you are missing out. Clockwork Angels is a fantastic album. BU2B is another great song from that album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968