Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Not softball but American Coco Gauff won the Western/Southern Open tennis in Cincinnati today. I love to see Americans winning international sports.

Not a Grand Slam tournament but she beat the worlds #1 and other hig level players.

She is a pretty awesome young competitor.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
American Coco Gauff wins again today, gets into the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open.

There is a totally interesting story in tennis. On court coaching of a player has always been illegal, and if the chair ump saw the wrong flick of a finger by a coach when a player was looking in the stands toward a coach the player could be penalized.

Coaching from the stands is now legal. 19 year old Coco just hired Brad Gilmore who coached Andre Agassi and others. Gilmore is coaching her hard from the stands. It is very obvious that 1) it is really helping Gauff big picture. 2) Players are learning to deal with something that has never happened before. 3) Coaches are having to learn to coach players during matches. You can almost SEE the learning curve happening!

Tennis is interesting. Like softball, “proceeding in an orderly fashion” is valued. There is some decorum expected. Yet it is intense. These men and women are really competitive. No one studies sports performance like the tennis community… Both the physical and psychological ends of the game…

Coco is a pleasure to watch. Shes smart, fast, she hits hard, she is totally athletic. She reminds me of Serena without all the Serena antics that I didn’t care for. Her interviews are really well done, the kid has a head on her shoulders.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
American Coco Gauff wins again today, gets into the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open.

There is a totally interesting story in tennis. On court coaching of a player has always been illegal, and if the chair ump saw the wrong flick of a finger by a coach when a player was looking in the stands toward a coach the player could be penalized.

Coaching from the stands is now legal. 19 year old Coco just hired Brad Gilmore who coached Andre Agassi and others. Gilmore is coaching her hard from the stands. It is very obvious that 1) it is really helping Gauff big picture. 2) Players are learning to deal with something that has never happened before. 3) Coaches are having to learn to coach players during matches. You can almost SEE the learning curve happening!

Tennis is interesting. Like softball, “proceeding in an orderly fashion” is valued. There is some decorum expected. Yet it is intense. These men and women are really competitive. No one studies sports performance like the tennis community… Both the physical and psychological ends of the game…

Coco is a pleasure to watch. Shes smart, fast, she hits hard, she is totally athletic. She reminds me of Serena without all the Serena antics that I didn’t care for. Her interviews are really well done, the kid has a head on her shoulders.
Very interesting that now I'm reading Coco flipped the script by telling her coach to stop coaching during her last match.

Dec 11, 2010
Very interesting that now I'm reading Coco flipped the script by telling her coach to stop coaching during her last match.
It was. She kind of gave him the universal slash across the throat gesture.

To be fair, they were giving constant feedback and my wife noticed it and said Gilmore should lay off a little.

She was looking like she was going to get beat at that time. She kind of regained her focus and came back after that.

Thought that was interesting, and immediately thought about how a softball coach would go bonzo if something similar happened during a softball game. We have all seen the right moment for that but we have a tradition in softball of letting coaches to continue to act up and fly the plane straight into the ground.

Dec 11, 2010
Coco to the semi’s! First teenager to the semi’s of a “major” tournament since 2001.

Guaranteed $775,000 U.S.D. at this point.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
It is possible that our hometown favorite Madison Keys could make it to the semi’s. She plays the winner from Wimbledon but that player (Vondrousova) had a sore shoulder beating another American (Stearns) who was the NCAA singles champion. I believe Stearns played at Texas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse