Grand View Home Run Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022

anyone else see this?

in the Grand View vs Southeastern game, the GV catcher hit a grand slam to take the lead, but she injured herself rounding first and was lying on the ground between First and Second. The defense picked her up and carried her around the bases.

#1. Great sportsmanship
#2. What if they didn’t help and the runner was injured and lying on the ground between bases?

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
First, I like the sportsmanship by the opponent.

Had the team not helped her round the bases I believe the batter would have gotten a single on this play with 3 RBI's, and the inning would be over since there was already two outs. Only the opponent can help the batter around the bases, your own team cannot assist a player around the bases.

Jan 8, 2019
I’m curious. NFHS 8-6-5 says:
A runner is out if ART. 5 ... Any offensive team member, other than another runner, physically assists the runner.

How would that work out. Would another runner have to go back to help prior to touching home? If she did, would she have to retouch the bases in order and ahead of the injured runner?

I’ve seen several instances of this spectacular show of sportsmanship, but in most of those instances, there were also other runners on. So, all I could think about was why don’t they go beck to help? Guessing most either don’t know the rules or are confused by them, as admittedly am I.

May 29, 2015
There are case plays out there on this.

Another runner could assist her ... just be careful about who is where and who touches the base first.

The better idea: The ball is dead. A substitute runner is allowed.

Not the batter, but here is an example that happened in MLB ...

Think of the same ways as batter hit by a pitch and forced to leave the game. You aren't going to make him/her bleed their way down to first base before you allow a substitute.

Jan 8, 2019
So, could only a trailing runner assist? That is, would there be an issue with a player going back (running in reverse order)? If the batter/runner B2 hit a home run and became injured right out of the batter’s box with R1 on third base. R1 crosses home before she realizes B2 is hurt. Can she help her around the bases from there, or would she have to reverse herself all the way around to help her? Or would R1 no longer be considered a runner and not be allowed to help? (All this assuming the coach didn‘t read @The Man In Blue ’s post, and the opposing team had no class whatsoever.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
...The better idea: The ball is dead. A substitute runner is allowed....
That makes too much sense. How could this not be the case by now? The hypothetical is a runner is injured, then is forced to complete the formality and does further damage to the injured area. Who wants to stand behind the current rule then?

May 29, 2015
That makes too much sense. How could this not be the case by now? The hypothetical is a runner is injured, then is forced to complete the formality and does further damage to the injured area. Who wants to stand behind the current rule then?

I may be misreading your post ... it IS the case. I can't say it ALWAYS has been, but I'm not aware of any recent rule change that previously disallowed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles