genetics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Hey Lane. I disagree wiuth that coaches statement. Ever worked with a softball pitcher that had ADHD? I have worked with several and with the exception of one, they all did really well. I dont believe in this 'genetic' mentallity. I think that is a cop out statement equal to 'This one is going to be a challenge and I might not be successful with her so I am not going to take the chance". None of those students 'Got it' when they first started and yes, they required personalized training and I had to adapt to many new things and mindsets.

I dont buy the 'Genetic' reasoning at all. I have proved that wrong too many times with students that had some sort of disablity.

BTW, that one student I referred to not only had ADHD, she had lost an eye to cancer years prior. She could throw really hard for her age but I had to recommend she not be put in the circle. With only one eye, you have no depth perception and that is a must for the closest player to the batter. A safety thing.

I think it starts with coaching and your ability to communicate...

I have read this more than once and every time I read it I seem to get something else from it.

Maybe it is the coaches and how they do what they do!

International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching Volume 4 • Number 1 • 2009 93
It’s Not What They Do, It’s How They Do It:
Athlete Experiences of Great Coaching
Andrea J. Becker
Department of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton,
P.O. Box 6870, Fullerton, CA 92834-6870, USA
E-mail: anbecker@fullerton.edu

May 5, 2008
I don't know that I'd be comfortable using a blanket statement either way. I don't think it's necessarily true that you either got it or you don't. Some may not but may still be able to FIND a way to become a good contributor at the plate (not necessarily hit the ball a ton). By the same token, I wouldn't say that ANYONE can become a high level player with the right instruction (not even ones that DO have the skillset!). KWIM?

So while it may be true for the majority of players...I wouldn't rule anyone out or everyone in either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie