Fundraising $10k quickly?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Perhaps I'm unrealistic here but I'd love to pull this off.
Based outside of Chicago. My 18u A/gold TB teams has 9 players (13 total) that have been together since 12u who will be moving on to college. The softball dedicated familys are well groomed with the travel & financial 'routines'. Recently it was brought to my attention that a few(4) became unemployed, which brought up doubts attending any Nationals. Initially at the parent meeting this past fall everyone jumped on board with the idea/goal of ending thier travel careers by going somewhere exotic for Nationals instead of Chattanooga like in years past (btw The Summit complex is awsome!!). With that in mind we've set up our summer schedule to have less travel and no weekend hotels.
$10k is a big nut to crack. It will take too long getting small chunks ie; pie sales , lemonade stands and coffee cans on the street corner. We've never fundraised before so I'm looking for ideas on ways to get large chunks....quick!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Our local basketball group did this.
Most fraternal organizations (I think that is the term) such as Lions Clubs, Knights of Columbus... Have a hall that they rent out. Most of them also have in their charter that they support local causes, one way to support a local cause is to allow groups to have the hall for free or at a vastly reduced rate. Have a dinner. $25 per ticket, you can get a caterer for roughly half that. Scour the local businesses for donations for raffles, accept everything, nothing to big or too small. Buy something big if you have too to make the raffles more attractive. The small things you get donated, free pizzas, free oil changes... Are door prizes, everyone who buys a ticket gets a free chance. The bigger things 40-$100 value have a separate ticket, people have to buy them and get a choice from that pool of prizes. Then the large things, TVs, Guns, BBQ grills... Have a separate ticket for each, that you sell. Then finally if you have a really good item. You can sell a specific number of tickets at $5-$20 each for that item. The BB group has had Pig roasts donated (the winner had a pig roast done for them at their house, great graduation party) They had the local sports shop donate letter jackets (we won that one) the local gun shop sold them a muzzle loader and a cross bow at his cost...Each item was a specific ticket.

Then they sold 50/50 tickets at buck each, these were sold ahead of time as well as at the dinner.

The 50/50 brought in $1800 dollars profit by itself. The whole thing brought in over 7K after expenses.

Mar 3, 2011
Fundraising Idea

Hi Coaches,

While brainstorming ideas to raise money for our team to go to Cooperstown this year, I came up with a solution that I believe will benefit all travel teams. We’ve always relied heavily on donations from local businesses, but recent economic challenges have made it increasingly difficult to secure donations from interested companies. My solution provides a win-win for both the businesses and the teams.

I am in the credit card processing business. I was able to get my company to donate 20% of our profits to any 501(c)3 organization or charity of your choice (IE. travel team). This means that if any business converts their credit card processing to us, their designated team/organization will receive a monthly residual of 20%. This monthly residual will continue for as long as the business continues to process with my company.

The added benefit for the businesses is that they will actually pay the same or in many cases less than what they are paying now! I also want to emphasize that the 20% donation comes from our profits not the business owners.

In conclusion, if you have anyone on your team that is a business owner and would like to learn more about taking advantage of this opportunity, please have them reach out to me.

Best of luck this year with your team. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rick
561-542-8864 cell
rick.delrio@frontstreampayments.com

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hi Coaches,

While brainstorming ideas to raise money for our team to go to Cooperstown this year, I came up with a solution that I believe will benefit all travel teams. We’ve always relied heavily on donations from local businesses, but recent economic challenges have made it increasingly difficult to secure donations from interested companies. My solution provides a win-win for both the businesses and the teams.

I am in the credit card processing business. I was able to get my company to donate 20% of our profits to any 501(c)3 organization or charity of your choice (IE. travel team). This means that if any business converts their credit card processing to us, their designated team/organization will receive a monthly residual of 20%. This monthly residual will continue for as long as the business continues to process with my company.

The added benefit for the businesses is that they will actually pay the same or in many cases less than what they are paying now! I also want to emphasize that the 20% donation comes from our profits not the business owners.

In conclusion, if you have anyone on your team that is a business owner and would like to learn more about taking advantage of this opportunity, please have them reach out to me.

Best of luck this year with your team. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rick
561-542-8864 cell
rick.delrio@frontstreampayments.com

So Rick how much retail business would have to go through the point of sale for your program, at 20% of your fees, to equal the fast 10K the original poster asked about?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Since poker is so popular now, I have started seeing many Texas Hold-Em Poker fundraisers that do very well if you are in an area that can get 100 - 200 people or so to attend. You also have re-buys throughout the first half of the night so it keeps people to stay around and donate more if they get knocked out early. You can host it once or twice during the TB season and have enough money for Nationals.

Sep 3, 2009
Since poker is so popular now, I have started seeing many Texas Hold-Em Poker fundraisers that do very well if you are in an area that can get 100 - 200 people or so to attend. You also have re-buys throughout the first half of the night so it keeps people to stay around and donate more if they get knocked out early. You can host it once or twice during the TB season and have enough money for Nationals.

I see alot of teams in our area do this. I've only heard second hand mind you, but have heard that it's not uncommon to raise 4-5k from one of these tournaments. But they also noted that it takes ALOT of participation by the families and players to run it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Our organization does the poker partys. The only reason I didn't post any info on it is that it was not something we were able to do quickly. In order to get the license to run the party we had to be an according to the IRS non profit. So lots of paperwork had to be done, then it was hurry up and wait. But once it was all in place. We work with a guy who runs the party. We provide the license and give him a percentage of the cash. He provides the location, the dealers, the chips, players... pretty much everything necessary to run the party. He does these in the same location 7 days a week, so the players know to just show up. We are required to provide 2 people to staff our cash table, we sell the chips and redeem the chips. That's just about all we do while at the party, there is some tracking of money in and money out...but you should expect that in any fundraiser. Each license goes for 4 days. He runs tournaments as well as cash tables. After 4 days our take is around 4-5K, by law we can pull 4 of these licenses per calendar year. We pull all 4 but generally have only needed to do 3, then we sell the license to another group and that's that.

Jan 30, 2010
We took 4 grand from doing port a pit from Nelsons chicken.That was presale for a week and walk ups.With spring around the corner and not to many peaple doing it yet,it would do real well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish