Fundamentals...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
After watching several high school softball games this weekend I was amazed at the number of players who have been playing TB for years, but have terrible FUNDAMENTALS. Your DD may not be the most gifted athlete on the field, but having a high softball IQ and good fundamentals can go a long way to helping your DD make her HS varsity team and compete for a college scholarship. I am sure that are college coaches across the country that just shake their heads when watching some of the bone headed fielding, throwing, and base running blunders that supposedly high level players make...

May 23, 2015
The biggest percentage of players are being coached their whole life by people that never played higher than coach pitch. It take real life experience to coach a position. Youtube is not going to help. Understanding a batters tendencies, recognizing positioning based on pitches, and advanced situational fielding aren't being taught. Heck I've seen girls that have play first for many seasons still goofy footing

Jun 12, 2015
Teaching (and learning, sometimes) fundamentals can be boring. Bucket drills, blah blah. I think less experienced coaches dismiss it because it's not fun. I suppose it's why some travel teams stay low-level no matter how long they play.

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
I think some of them don't know what the fundamentals are. DD had a coach that said they should know the fundamentals by now (12u) so there's no need to review constantly. It's hard to find coaches who will continue to teach the fundamentals and not just focus on game scenarios.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had a lot of new players this year on 14U Team. We have them bunt a few then swing away.

2nd batter, I do not know how to bunt.

Turned out a 1/3 of the players, including 1 that played HS, didn'the know how to bunt because no one ever showed them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think some of them don't know what the fundamentals are. DD had a coach that said they should know the fundamentals by now (12u) so there's no need to review constantly. It's hard to find coaches who will continue to teach the fundamentals and not just focus on game scenarios.

Knowing what to do in game scenarios is part of a players softball IQ and is also important.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am pretty vocal at the beginning off a season, come middle of season it looks like I am napping in dugout.

At some point they need to figure it out themselves and heaven forbid have fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sostrejr2002