Focus on your target sooner/longer???? REALLY?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Some softball players hear their coach or assistant coach say things like, "Look at your target sooner." For example, think of a third-baseman fielding a ground ball with the throw going to 1B. I've always taught my players to not look so soon at where they are throwing to, but rather stay focused on fielding the ball and transferring it cleanly to the throwing hand before looking at where they are throwing. As they field the ball, they should already have a very good sense of where they are throwing, and it only takes a split second to view the target just prior to release of the ball. I think it is completely backwards to tell a player to look at their target sooner. We've all seen those bobbles because the girls was making the throw before getting full control of the ball.

Apr 1, 2010
Well, you certainly don't want wild throws, but I agree with you that "ball first" has got to come before anything else.

Feb 21, 2012
I have heard poeple say that, and in my opinion, it is more often a balance issue than a picking up the target issue.
Like you said, it doesn't take long to pick up where first base is. They didn't move it. The key for most players is using proper fundamentals to get a good throwing base before releasing the ball.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't think staring at the target longer does much of anything. The "balance" dad speaks of is most likely to occur if the player's main focus is fielding the ball and controlling it going into that moment of release. We've all see players looking at the target before control, usually leading to a huge error.

Jul 26, 2010
Do you really think players are listening to their coaches correct mechanics in a game? The smart ones know the coaches are just trying to sound important.

-W

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
There's a reason the first "B" of the "3-B's" stands for "Ball." Unless you have the ball first and secured, it doesn't matter where your target is, where the runners are etc. etc. because you don't have the ball to make an accurate throw or tag. Watch the ball into your glove, secure it then worry about everything else after.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There's a reason the first "B" of the "3-B's" stands for "Ball." Unless you have the ball first and secured, it doesn't matter where your target is, where the runners are etc. etc. because you don't have the ball to make an accurate throw or tag. Watch the ball into your glove, secure it then worry about everything else after.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
So the players shouldn't worry about picking up their target quickly after catching the ball? Sounds like some of you want the players to catch the ball and stand there admiring it.

1 - See it
2 - Track it
3 - Catch it
4 - GET RID OF IT!

Part and parcel of #4 is locating your target as soon as you have possession of the ball. No, first base didn't move. But seeing your target is the first step in delivering an on-target throw.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle