First week of college practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2017
softball coaches are bigger hard asses than even wrestling coaches at collegiate level...and for absolutely zero reason. Hoping DD doesn't pursue beyond HS.

Feb 15, 2017
It's tough. If they don't win, they get fired. So they do what they can to win. They don't (seem to) care much about the kid's education, other than not flunking out.
I don't know the coach at ISU just left and it looks like they didn't win a lot in the past ten years.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2019
I'm constantly surprised by this phenomenon. I shouldn't be.

People just don't listen. They've been told 100 times and thing it won't happen to them. So dumb.
It’s not that they weren’t told, they just found it harder than what they expected.

I was a collegiate athlete (football) and I told them it was going to be hard, but they were just overwhelmed…I wouldnt consider them dumb.

They seemed to have turned the corner and are looking forward to the games this weekend. I’m hearing more about how practice went rather than how tired and sore they are.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Last year when my DD was a freshman she called one day and said “Dad, there are like 32 girls on the team”. I honestly was surprised. But once the season started there were 21. I was surprised so many girls quit (one got cut). Now that I’m a seasoned college softball dad (lol) I understand that this happens every year. The coaches know that there will be some attrition during summer practice and fall ball.

My DD had some first hand knowledge of what to expect as a close friend was two years ahead of her. She worked hard the summer before her freshman season and was GTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
They don't (seem to) care much about the kid's education, other than not flunking out.
That wasn’t our experience with three different head coaches. They were all VERY concerned with their players educations. Aside from it looking good to have lots of players on the all academic team, good grades allow kids to keep their academic money so coaches have more athletic money to spread around. If a coach has a bunch of dummies it really limits what they can offer girls. Especially for programs that aren’t fully funded or D2 where they don’t have as many scholarships to offer.

Dec 11, 2010
That wasn’t our experience with three different head coaches. They were all VERY concerned with their players educations. Aside from it looking good to have lots of players on the all academic team, good grades allow kids to keep their academic money so coaches have more athletic money to spread around. If a coach has a bunch of dummies it really limits what they can offer girls. Especially for programs that aren’t fully funded or D2 where they don’t have as many scholarships to offer.
Completely agree. Two coaches not three for us.

Low grades and shenanigans go hand in hand and shenanigans wont do, lol

I‘ll take it one step farther, dd who is currently playing has a coach that is trying to teach the players about personal finances. Books left in their lockers, mini talks about money and invited speakers.

She is also pretty concerned that kids don’t leave school with insurmountable debt.

I have never really believed that college *softball* coaches that don’t win get fired. Usually they get canned because of other screw ups, and usually they deserve it.

May 21, 2015
South
The high percentage of player that quit really bothers me. The stories of abusive over demanding coaches piss me off. This is not the marines. It's not life or death. It's softball. It's a game. Games are suppose to be fun.
If and when my DD gets the opportunity to play college ball she will be choosing school that offer a good education and non abusive coaching staff with a high retention rate. Maybe a coach that has read a book recently. Looking for a John Wooden or Tony Dungi, type. These loud abusive, demented old school coaches should be embarrassed by their retention rate but probably wear as a badge of honor. I hope the portal helps root out some of these Neanderthals. Go buy a dog you can beat.
College coaches are a different breed. If you think you can identify crazy coaches, you are mistaken. Most coaches have multiple personalities. (at least two: recruiting and coaching). I was so excited about my dd's oach during the recruiting process. I thought she could have been a high level management consultant when hearing her speak. Turns out, she was a pyscho, abusive coach just like a lot of them who not only want to win but have to. There is a high attrition rate in softball. A lot of it is due to the coaches. However, a lot of girls are not prepared for the rigors of being a student athlete.

Dec 4, 2021
Abuse? Is there any, absolutely. Is it rampant, no. The fact is most kids now (some now parents) are soft. Most people today don't even know what abuse is....it's not hurting someone's "wittle" feelings. The best thing parents can do for their athletes, starting at a young age, is to prepare them mentally for life, not just sports. I would suggest investing some of the pitching/batting/fielding/strength & conditioning lesson budget into a mental performance coach. There is a reason that only 7% of high school players play college softball when 75% of them THINK they can, and 98% of parents THINK they can. Delusion.

Jul 5, 2016
I have never really believed that college *softball* coaches that don’t win get fired. Usually they get canned because of other screw ups, and usually they deserve it.

I think it depends on the program. For the programs spending millions on facilities, I think that coaches are expected to win or find another job. Look at Jo Evans at Texas.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think it depends on the program. For the programs spending millions on facilities, I think that coaches are expected to win or find another job. Look at Jo Evans at Texas.
Jo's poor recruiting, players leaving the program in droves, poor coaching and yes lack of quality wins got herself fired. I wouldn't be surprised when the Aggie Alumni learned she decommitted Bri Ellis who won SEC Freshman of the year, had a meeting with the AD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom