First TB Tryout In The Books for DD #2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
DD #2 had her first TB tryout last Friday (10U). Thanks to this board I knew exactly what to expect. They did grounders, pop flies, and hit off of soft toss. All the while they gave her some coaching basically to see how well she listens and does what they ask. They even watched her pitch at the end after she told then she pitches (she just started taking lessons but he still wanted to watch her). The best part of the try out was at the end when I was talking to the coach. We were wrapping up and he asked if we had any questions. DD looked up and him and said, "Did I make the team?". :D

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks Eric!

I had to fight back a laugh when she asked the coach that Jr. You could tell he wasn't expecting to be put on the spot by an 8 YO. He kind of stumbled over his words and then said, "We'll let you know in a few days".

Jul 2, 2013
So DD#2 didn't make the team. She saw the call come across and was waiting when I got off the phone. She was pretty upset about the whole thing. The coach basically said they had a lot of older (10yo) girls tryout (DD is 8) and they filled the roster with them. I told her she is still young and there is no shame in not making a 10U team at her age.

It's not a terrible thing in the end. DW and I had decided we weren't sure if we wanted her travelling this young but we let her try out because she really wanted to. I just keep telling her she will have to work harder and get better if she wants to make a team the next time.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So DD#2 didn't make the team. She saw the call come across and was waiting when I got off the phone. She was pretty upset about the whole thing. The coach basically said they had a lot of older (10yo) girls tryout (DD is 8) and they filled the roster with them. I told her she is still young and there is no shame in not making a 10U team at her age.

It's not a terrible thing in the end. DW and I had decided we weren't sure if we wanted her travelling this young but we let her try out because she really wanted to. I just keep telling her she will have to work harder and get better if she wants to make a team the next time.

Sorry to hear this....I was rooting for her from afar. She's 8 and now you all know what the target looks like after seeing the other girls. That will help her out. That and the fact that she had the guts to even tryout. She sounds like a winner to me. she'll get em next time.

Apr 1, 2010

There's definitely no shame not making a 10U team as an 8 year old! Are there any 8U teams around, where she could play with girls her age?

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks JJ. I was very proud of the way she competed in the try out and she was definitely the one that was pushing to do it. It broke my heart to see how she felt but I just hope she uses that feeling as fuel for the next time (and all of the days in between).

Jul 2, 2013
There's definitely no shame not making a 10U team as an 8 year old! Are there any 8U teams around, where she could play with girls her age?

Thanks to bad planning by her parents ;) her birthday is at the end of November so she won't be able to play 8U next spring. Back to rec ball this fall and next spring and we'll see if there are any 10U teams looking then.

Apr 16, 2013
If she's a competitor, this is a good thing. It will fuel her desire and she'll practice harder. She knows what the better kids look like and will see where she falls short. Your words could almost be word for word with my DD when she was 8. I knew she didn't make the team just watching while we were there. What I did notice was how hard she was trying. They were hitting balls way harder than I was, and she didn't get out of the way. I knew then that she was ready to step up the intensity level and she rose to the occasion. She's never failed to make any team we've tried out for since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12