Finding the Right Length/Weight Bat And How To Protect It

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Take the money you're spending on bats, and get her some lessons with a reputable coach. They can help you with bat selection based on your daughters size and swing.

Use aluminum bats in cages. Honestly, I feel using random bats is a good idea, you never know when your kid is going to loose, break, or have her bat taken away for a tournament by some nutty umpire for whatever reason. Don't let them get attached to a bat, let them learn how to swing the bejeezus out of whatever they pick up. That'll impress you much more.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
Perfect timing for this thread as I have bat question as well! (don't mean to highjack!) DD is 15, 5'3", left handed slapper who also hits for power (actually hits away more these days). She is strong for her size and has been lifting weights consistantly for about 2 years (dad is a former competetive power lifter so she is lifting correctly). She currently uses a 32/22 and I've been trying to tell her (and dad) that I think she needs to use a longer/heavier bat. We talked with the coach of her top choice school at camp this last weekend and she agreed DD is strong enough to go up to a bigger bat. She would like to see her go up to a 34 in. bat but DD is concerned about jumping from 22-24 oz. Coach reminded her 1 oz. is like taping a few paperclips to her bat. DD is one who worries too much about change and is particular about her equipment (getting a new glove is like buying a house with her). Thoughts on jumping 2 bat sizes? Or thoughts on bat sizes for her age/size? I do worry about too heavy of a bat causing control issues for her short game.

I would make an effort to try what the college coach wants. BUT, arguably the number one requirement for any bat is how the batter feels about it. The batter must have complete confidence in her bat.

Based on her strength coach's credentials, I believe she is definitely strong enough for a 33/23 and very likely could handle a 34/24, depending on bat style.

Coach is right, in a sense, about the paperclips, but 1 or 2 oz. can make a big difference to the feel of a bat.

Nov 15, 2011
Take the money you're spending on bats, and get her some lessons with a reputable coach. They can help you with bat selection based on your daughters size and swing.

Use aluminum bats in cages. Honestly, I feel using random bats is a good idea, you never know when your kid is going to loose, break, or have her bat taken away for a tournament by some nutty umpire for whatever reason. Don't let them get attached to a bat, let them learn how to swing the bejeezus out of whatever they pick up. That'll impress you much more.

-W

Agree! Local DI college coach always tells girls that it is not the bat it is you. If you are a .300, you're going to be a .300 hitter no matter what bat you use.

Oct 25, 2009
Agree! Local DI college coach always tells girls that it is not the bat it is you. If you are a .300, you're going to be a .300 hitter no matter what bat you use.

That's not correct. The higher end bats make a difference. You get what you pay for in some cases. There are guidelines, opinions that you can follow to a degree, but if it doesn't feel right to the batter, she won't be as good as she could be. The batter is the final judge.

Jan 10, 2012
Thanks all! I just received the Miken Rain and I ordered a $35 Easton (same length/weight) for the cage. She will use the Easton for most of the winter and switch to the Miken once we get outside in April. So for $110, she is good for this season... next year we can re-evaluate (hopefully she grows a little more :) )

Oct 10, 2011
Rain

My concern with the Rain is the cage - she will be seeing 50 pitches a week in the cage for the next couple of months - so that is 400 swings on the heavier, dimpled balls. That won't damage the bat? According to the Miken website that could hurt the bat so that is why I was worried. I am going to go out and get a Tuff Sleeve anyway for it...

As for the basketballs, I haven't seen those yet this season and only saw them a couple of times last season, but was unaware of the potential injuries with them...

The Miken Rain is a good bat and one of the best buys out there. My daughter is pretty big and uses a 33/21 and as the coach says can "knock the snot out of the ball" She uses that for practice and the Freak Light for games. (identicle feel) Use whatever she feels good about- I apparantely got too caught up on the bat being a -12 for no reason.

Nov 15, 2011
That's not correct. The higher end bats make a difference. You get what you pay for in some cases. There are guidelines, opinions that you can follow to a degree, but if it doesn't feel right to the batter, she won't be as good as she could be. The batter is the final judge.

That didn't come across like I intended. I agree that high end bats do make a difference- and that the batter definitely has to feel comfortable. This coach was addressing girls who were worried about going to college and being forced to use XXX brand bats because that is who the college has a contract with but they love brand YYY. She told them that once you get to the college level it doesn't matter which brand bat you use- if you're a good hitter you're going to be fine using brand ZZZ if that is what you are handed.

Jul 26, 2010

Even that depends. If the kid isn't hitting the ball out of the infield, a hot bat is not going to help. If the kid is hitting the ball 100', they'll hit 110-115' with a hot bat. This can make the difference of hitting a line drive to the center fielder or hitting one over her head. Conversely, this can also take a kid who's hitting them in the gap behind second base to hitting them right to CF. It can work both ways! Hot bats also require much tighter bunting mechanics. Bunting with the sweet spot on a hot bat will send the ball right to an infielder, they gotta learn how to use the end. At the same time, all a push bunt is with a hot bat is bunting with the sweet spot ;)

-W

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I always wonder how the AVERAGE 12U player will ever damage a decent manufacturer bat hitting in a cage, dimpled balls or not. Let's face it...MOST just simply don't swing hard enough.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
SB dad, I am always suprised at how heavy the bats are that others recommend and say their young girls use on here. Like girls 9 years old 70 lbs and hitting 22oz bats. The videos I see of them look to me like they can't handle it. My dd just turned 12 is 5'5 ish prob 110lbs, one of the biggest on our team, and definately the most explosive hitting. She was dropping bombs with an 18 oz miken light last season. This off season we have two new bats both 21 oz. Friend's dd led her hs team in hr her soph and junior years with a 34/22 miken light, and she was a big girl.
Coaching several dozen girls on both travel and rec team I have never told a girl that they were swinging too light a bat, but have several times brought extra bats for girls to use that couldn't handle the sledge hammer mom and dad bought them.

Rogue, dd cracked a combat virus in the cage on dippled balls at 10 years old. I refuse to let any bat I have paid for touch a dimpled ball anymore.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00