Favorite Pitch Counting App (speed not necessary)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's been suggested we don't have conversations about holding anything back in the tank (moderation) and instead work on endurance. As an endurance cyclists, moderation is everything, so this was surprising for me to hear.
The problem: Runs scored in the 1st inning count just as much as runs scored in the 7th. The pitcher has to give 100% from the very first pitch to the very last pitch.

Pitching is quite different from long distance running and cycling. (I road bike.) Pitching is much more akin to weight lifting.

Pitching requires 100% effort explosive effort for about one second, and then there is a period of two or three minutes of rest, and then everything is done over again.

Breathing is extremely important. There are various resources on the internet about breathing for pitching, but basically it is a deep inhale followed by a big exhale when the ball is released. Again, very similar to weight lifting.

Your DD also need to learn how to relax and rest between pitches. Odicci Alexander of JMU was a master at resting between pitches...watch her a little.

Around 15YOA, my DD practices were 1 hour to 1.5 hours long. We would do some drills, long tosses, and then work on speed/control/movement. At the end of the practice, she would throw 100 pitches. So, she was throwing well over 300 times in an hour.

Apr 8, 2021
I ended up buying a bucket and two dozen balls. I ask my DD to throw two buckets of singles, doubles (circles on one knee), normal pitches, and K-throws into a net so she could do it on her own. If I’m sitting on the bucket I got a second bucket to keep the 24 contained for her and started not throwing them back, when she gets it to me, to keep an accurate pitch count and drill interval. ie two buckets of 40ft, then a bucket or so of long tosses, etc for about 200 total throws.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The problem: Runs scored in the 1st inning count just as much as runs scored in the 7th. The pitcher has to give 100% from the very first pitch to the very last pitch.

Pitching is quite different from long distance running and cycling. (I road bike.) Pitching is much more akin to weight lifting.

Pitching requires 100% effort explosive effort for about one second, and then there is a period of two or three minutes of rest, and then everything is done over again.

Breathing is extremely important. There are various resources on the internet about breathing for pitching, but basically it is a deep inhale followed by a big exhale when the ball is released. Again, very similar to weight lifting.

Your DD also need to learn how to relax and rest between pitches. Odicci Alexander of JMU was a master at resting between pitches...watch her a little.

Around 15YOA, my DD practices were 1 hour to 1.5 hours long. We would do some drills, long tosses, and then work on speed/control/movement. At the end of the practice, she would throw 100 pitches. So, she was throwing well over 300 times in an hour.
At lessons i jokingly make this point.
'We work really hard for tenths of a second, explosive accurate results, again & again,
but we get to breathe and relax inbetween.
Arent you glad i dont teach marathon running?!'

Healthy endurance deffinetly needed. That can be developed by swimming, running, riding a bike, agility and aerobic workouts.
Controlling the throttle longer is more mental endurance.
Rest/explode. Rest/explode. X7 innings.
( that training has unfortunetly deminished in 1:15 game times.)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA

Great insight, thanks. Question on the last part - how often were you able to practice with her? High School is already throwing a wrench in our practice schedule, as does regular travel team practice, private lessons, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Great insight, thanks. Question on the last part - how often were you able to practice with her? High School is already throwing a wrench in our practice schedule, as does regular travel team practice, private lessons, etc.

Organization and "just doing it". We had a bucket of balls, my shin guards mask, and mitt by the backdoor. We had a place to practice right out our backdoor. During the winter, we had a place 10 minutes away.

You grab everything, go out and practice, and then when it is over, it is over.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Sorry, should have been clearer. What I was more so asking was, with a full schedule, how often per week were you able to practice like that?

Jun 7, 2020
I just use a manual clicker style counter. It works. I also use it for games when there is no gamechanger for school games.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Thanks, but it's hard to hold a pitch counter with a mitt on or set it down each time to throw the ball back to DD. :)
W/r to PocketRadar - I wish it allowed you to save pitches to a profiles or in batches meaning you don't have to clear history every time. I would love to be able to see how many pitches she did on a particular date and have it reset per session. Not sure if I am clear in my explanation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish