EXPERIENCE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
A few questions for discussion~

For coaches, players and parents how does experience play a role?
>How important is EXPERIENCE?
>What value would you put on EXPERIENCE?

Screenshot_20231130-050340_Chrome.jpg

Families and players , Do you look for a coach who already has experienced coaching before deciding to join a team? Does it matter what level they have already coached?

As a coach do you look for players who have a certain level of experience already?

As a coach do you look for families that have already experienced making a commitment to a travel ball schedule?

** bring to the conversation whatever perspectives you have!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Experiences can be both good or bad. A good experienced coach would be great but I would take a less experienced coach who is eager to learn (reads books) over an experienced know it all who yells a lot.

Jan 25, 2022
Some say the game is 90% mental. If that's the case (or whatever percentage it is), then experience trumps just about everything. You can't teach experience. It's killed me watching some kids who have the skills, but don't have the experience to not only make plays and protect the ball, but also to know how to deal with adversity. The "been there before" kind of toughness and fortitude that only experience can teach.

I was a brand new little league coach. I didn't think I knew enough to be standing there, but I was the only one willing to do it. I knew how to play the game, but when it came to explaining and teaching the game, I was a lot farther behind than I initially thought. Luckily, I dragged a parent onto the field during practice and realized he had vast knowledge and experience through baseball. We've coached together at every school level in some capacity for the last three years and I feel more than capable of coaching at any school level at this point. I don't, but I know I could.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I disagree with some of the previous posts.

I always thought DD's strength was with her understanding other players and trying to understand thier and her weaknesses.

Sure coaches put her in bad spots and gave her some not so great advice. Her and I would discuss occasionally.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles