Ever heard of a team forfeiting a game because a call didn't go there way

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2016
Had a weird situation come up at a game this weekend. My dd's 14u team was playing another team and up by 1 run in the last inning. The other team had a runner on 1st with 2 outs. My dd's coach made a circle visit with her and the other coach went and told the umpire that it was the 2nd visit therefore my dd needed to be replaced with another pitcher. The umpire informed the coach that it was marked as the 1st visit and the home scorekeeper also said it was the 1st visit. The coach kept arguing about it and said if my dd wasn't removed that she forfeited the game. This team still had a chance to win and it seems like you teach the kids you coach that it's ok to quit if things don't go your way. Any thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Sounds like your DD was doing her job and the other coach didn't want anymore of her.

I think WEIRD might not be the best word but still a good choice as that is Weird to me. To forfeit a game for something like that is silly. Perhaps the other coach was looking to go home early. Who knows but good to hear your DD was that much of an influence to the other coach that he would forfeit if she didn't leave. Those things are always good to grow on and use to your advantage and your DD's moral. Congrats!

Jun 14, 2016
I agree, I told her to take it as a compliment. Ironically we ended up playing this team again later in the tourney and the game wasn't even close the 2nd game and my dd was the pitcher again. I just kind of felt bad for the girls on that team because I'm sure this is behavior seen often.

Jun 12, 2015
As a parent I'd be pretty upset if my daughter's coach did something like that. The lessons they learn in youth sports are a big part of the appeal for me. "Quit if you don't get your way and sulk off the field to pout" is not a lesson I want mine learning.

Jun 22, 2008
Except for NCAA, in softball the coach gets 3 defensive conferences in a 7 inning game, and 1 per inning after that. They can use all 3 of those conferences in the same inning if they like. Only after the 3rd conference is the coach required to remove the pitcher if they request another conference. And, if the coach makes a pitching change, it does not count as a conference.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Forfeiting a game over a pitching change....hmmmm, not sure I would want my DD playing for that coach.

Jun 14, 2016
In USSSA it is 2 conferences and then a pitching change but the trip in question was actually our coach checking on an injured player from the other team on 1st and saying something to my dd as he walked over there. The umpires did not have that marked as a visit so there was no pitching change required. The girls on that team were still in a position to win that game even though they had struggled with my dd the whole game. Instead of accepting the call, the coach threw a tantrum and cost her kids the chance to win a game. I absolutely would not allow my dd to play for a coach like that.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think DD is old enough to leave it go until after the games.

I,would be furious a couple years ago, loser. Not even close to knowing the rules, not that that matters.

Go back to baseball.

Jun 14, 2016
Wait, was that directed at me. That's what I was told the rules were. I'm not sure what you are trying to say because my dd did not say anything nor was anything directed at her. I just felt bad for the girls on the other team which was the reason for this post. I had just never witnessed a team forfeiting a game like that and was wondering if anybody had seen anything like that before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl