Eliminate wimpy tags

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
One of the most frustrating things for a coach is when one of their players has the ball knocked of their hands or avoided by a base runner because of a wimpy one handed glove tag. Worse yet, when they have the ball kicked or knocked out of their throwing hand. One simple drill that I teach all my young players is to tuck the ball into the web of their glove, squeeze with their other hand and execute a "positive" (euphanism for very solid) two handed tag on their opponent. You will not always get the "out of the basepath" call from the blue. Hearing that positive tag really sells the out. A good example of when to use this would be a slow roller down first fielded by the first baseman who has no choice but to tag the runner.

Mar 22, 2010
My husband coaches my daughters 8U team and nothing makes him madder than when the umps don't see a tag. He tells the girls not to knock them down or anything but if they tag hard enough for the baserunner to take a step backwards the ump will definely "see" it.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Dear Chapel, that is exactly what I was talking about. I had a first baseman who was also my backup catcher and had a catcher's mentality. Her philosophy was, "if you want to run by me and avoid the tag, you do so at your own risk". Otherwise, she was the nicest most polite girl that you ever met. One speedy girl tried to get by her as fast as she could and tried to dodge the tag. She ended up on her duff on the ag lime. When someone is trying their hardest to avoid the tag and has some wheels, you cannot employ a wimpy tag. She wasn't mean, she just had the where with all to put a good solid tag on someone who tried their best to get by her. BTW, she is now playing college ball on a very fine team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00