Eligible to play on two team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
My DD is currently playing on two 12u teams. One in NH, one in MA.
Both coaches are planning on ASA, Pony, NSA tournaments.
I was told it won't be a problem as rosters are submitted on a tournament
by tournament basis and as long as she's not listed on two rosters for the
same tournament she's fine. Does anyone know of an official eligiblity rule?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Please have the coaches check with the appropriate director for each organization.

In ASA and NSA, I do not believe this is allowed in the roster rules. If a player is found to be on two different roster for the same age group, the whole team can be disqualified from a tournament and could put any earned national tournament berths at risk.

I believe a player maybe released once per year by a team manager and then added to another team

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA

A player may only be on one roster in the same classification and division.

This applies to ANY championship play. Championship play is any game/tournament which can lead to a berth in a national championship, from local play on up.

There is no such animal as a "release". Once a player takes part in ASA championship play, that is the roster to which they are committed until all championship play is completed for that season. There are a lot of things which commissioners can do locally, but rewriting the eligibility codes isn't one of them. Be careful of any deviations as they often come back to bite teams in the rear when discovered at a National Championship which seems to happen at least once a year.

This does not apply to any other sanctioning body's events or to friendlies, scrimmages or other tournaments which do not qualify as championship play.

http://downloads.asasoftball.com/about/pdf/asa_code.pdf

May 12, 2008
I think the key there is probably championship play. Certainly in the fall round robins no one seems to care who plays with who and teams borrow players frequently within the same tourney with both team's knowledge and the tournament director's knowledge. It's just about getting some work in. Come the qualifiers, it's a different story.

Sep 3, 2009
If what I'm reading here is true, how is it legal for any girl to guest play on another team?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In answer to absdad's question:

(1) If the tournament is not a qualifying tournament, it is OK.
(2) There is no problem if the team does not qualify for the national tournament.
(3) There is no problem is the tournament is for different organizations. E.g., ASA and NSA.

Finally, the real reason there are guest players:

NO ONE CROSS-CHECKS TOURNAMENT ROSTERS OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA.

In fact, the tournament officials in California don't cross-check rosters carefully, but the kids play so many tournaments and games that there is a good chance that the opposing coaches know the "good" players and the teams there are on, so they report players that team hop.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And I thought I was cynical :rolleyes:

But I do not agree. It does matter if the ineligible player is the reason a team was sent home and did not qualify.

ASA has DQd teams at the national level, even at the Gold, and it is not unusual for ineligible pick-up or non-roster players to be sent home at check-in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie