Dusty cleat diaries: 1-and-done to title run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Scheduling add-on events with little notice can be a bit problematic, so because of prior obligations, the team would have to play a couple games shorthanded this past Saturday. They would be 10 strong (1 girl is still out) on Sunday, though. The field wasn't quite as deep overall, however, there were still 3 other teams with the potential on paper to win the whole thing, and that meant having to beat at least 2 of them on Sunday.

This Saturday went much differently compared to the previous Saturday. The girls went 3-0 and only had to fight a little bit against a team they'd never seen before. The team that had been expected to challenge in the pool made a lot more errors than when they'd played back in Feb and weren't able to get their bats going. The final game of the day was a walkover against a B-level team as the girls played to their normal ability.

Sunday morning, the girls got out to an early lead and didn't look back. They put up 8 runs in 3 innings and were never challenged, even though they gave up a couple runs late. Then they squared off against their arch-rivals and won the toss. DD was behind the plate and a weak toss back to the pitcher resulted in the 1st run of the game scoring. I couldn't believe what I'd just witnessed, because she'd never been directly responsible for allowing a run from that position before. Their opponent is the type of team you don't want to make those kinds of mistakes against, because they will cost you. But the team came back in the home half of the 1st to take a 2-1 lead. After the visitors tied it up in the 3rd, our girls came up and put together a 9-run rally with 2 outs.

With an 9-run lead, although I knew they still had to get outs, I figured they could cruise into the final. But it was not to be. It was either the top of the 5th or 6th and there was another dropped pop fly in foul ground, followed by a bobble, followed by a drop at 1B, etc. etc. etc. Next thing you knew, the other team had the potential go-ahead run at 2B.

Escape? Yes, it was an escape, but the girls got out with the 11-10 win and that's what mattered. I was hoping they'd be able to brush that last inning off and go play ball since what mattered most was advancing. There were plenty of great lessons for both teams in a game like that. Unfortunately, Mojo somehow got hit on the hand by a foul ball during the final at-bat and would have to sit out the final game. :(

The championship was a close affair throughout, but the team put together a couple of solid rallies and held off a very strong opponent, even though they got the tying run up with less than 2 outs in both the 6th & 7th innings.

I was extremely proud of the way they bounced back and played their game for almost the entire weekend and something tells me they're now more primed than ever to make some noise this summer in NorCal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl