Dropped 3rd Strike - Interference Called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

djraidah

Coach DJ
Mar 7, 2012
Arizona
An umpire's interference call yesterday during a high school softball game has me a bit frustrated. In my 14 years of coaching the game, I have never experienced this: My team had one out, base runners on 1B and 2B. A dropped third strike occurred, the batter took off for 1st. The catcher made an overthrow to first and my base runner on second scored & the runner on 1B advanced to 3B. The umpire called interference & along with calling-out the batter who struck out (which obviously was the correct call), he called-out my base runner who was originally on 2B. Again, right call if this is a true interference call. The rationale the umpire gave me was "since first base was occupied and only one out, the batter should not have attempted to run to 1B. By doing so, her action 'confused' the catcher into throwing the ball to 1B." Let me paraphrase ... because my batter confused the catcher into throwing ... really? Shouldn't the catcher know the rule? Am I missing something? We have another game tonight. Need to get this right. Spent last night practically memorizing the rule book. Can't find this anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 22, 2008
The umpire is mistaken in his application of the rule. A batter running on a dropped 3rd strike is specifically excluded in the rules from being interference. The defense is responsible for knowing the situation and that no throw to 1st was needed. This was nothing more than dumb move catcher, live ball play on.

Dont have the rules citation off the top of my head, will have to look for it.

djraidah

Coach DJ
Mar 7, 2012
Arizona
Thanks Comp. A friend of mine said the same thing last night, but we can't find the "exclusion rule". You will be my hero if you can. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 22, 2008
I believe the rule I am thinking of is ASA 8-7-P. The wording is not exactly as I remember it, so there may be another citation somewhere else in the book.

The rule covers players who have already been put out and continue to run. The exception cites batter/runners who are entitled to run on a dropped third strike. In the play as presented, as 1st was occupied the batter/runner was not entitled to run, but, the defense is also repsonsible for knowing the same situation and that no throw was needed. The rule states a player who has been put out and continues to run "may" be considered interference. In this situation as stated, the defense is equally responsible for knowing the game situation and should not have been throwing the ball to 1st base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
NFHS Rule 8.6, Art 16.c, Page 68 on 2012 Rules Book

BTW, when reading that rule, take a pen and strike out the word, "intentionally"

Jun 22, 2008
NFHS Rule 8.6, Art 16.c, Page 68 on 2012 Rules Book

BTW, when reading that rule, take a pen and strike out the word, "intentionally"

Sorry, forgot I was suppose to be looking in the FED book when I got back several hours later to respond.

djraidah

Coach DJ
Mar 7, 2012
Arizona
Thank you again Comp! Much appreciated.

Btw ... After explaining the call, the umpire at today's game said, not the first time he's heard that call & then simply stated (with a smirk) ... I believe some of your players require a bit more training/experience than others ... so do umpires :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie