dont mess with the pitcher's receiver, lesson learned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Ok, we were up 9-5 going into the bottom of the 7th, we had an issue where our starting SS had to leave the game, so we moved our catcher to short as that's her other position. Brought in a younger catcher (7th grader) who was very capable but not as knowledgeable on calling pitch locations. So I believe what happened is she set up center of plate targets. Bam three straight hits, one error and we lose 9-10. Pitcher is livid, my bad, I didn't even think of reminding catcher of this and we have not worked with her much as she's #3 on the list, #1 out with sprained ankle. We are very small school using 7th graders to fill a team but that's beside the point. Sure makes a guy feel bad. She had a good game going.

So remember don't mess with a PITCHER OR HER CATCHER !

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You are good looking back on it but sometimes it works and you are the coach of the year, other times they are waiting for you in the parking lot.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
A good catcher can make a world of difference but I agree where the target is being placed is a lame excuse for giving up 10 runs, or even just the last three. If it was bothering the pitcher she could have called time and kindly explained to the catcher what would have helped her out, I'm sure the catcher would have been receptive.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ok, we were up 9-5 going into the bottom of the 7th, we had an issue where our starting SS had to leave the game, so we moved our catcher to short as that's her other position. Brought in a younger catcher (7th grader) who was very capable but not as knowledgeable on calling pitch locations. So I believe what happened is she set up center of plate targets. Bam three straight hits, one error and we lose 9-10. Pitcher is livid, my bad, I didn't even think of reminding catcher of this and we have not worked with her much as she's #3 on the list, #1 out with sprained ankle. We are very small school using 7th graders to fill a team but that's beside the point. Sure makes a guy feel bad. She had a good game going.

So remember don't mess with a PITCHER OR HER CATCHER !
I blame the pitcher. She has the experience she should have called the catcher to the mound (yes the mound) and said something. Just because the catcher puts her glove right die. The middle doesn't mean the pitcher has no say in what happens next.

Dec 19, 2012
The catchers mitt should not be a target. The catcher should always set up initially in the middle of the plate and move while the pitcher is in her motion. I'm assuming this is HS and a HS pitcher should not only receive the called pitch from the catcher, but also the location. Yes, even from a 7th grade catcher. This is not hard to coach.....the kids catch on quick.

Jun 12, 2015
A good catcher can make a world of difference but I agree where the target is being placed is a lame excuse for giving up 10 runs, or even just the last three. If it was bothering the pitcher she could have called time and kindly explained to the catcher what would have helped her out, I'm sure the catcher would have been receptive.

^^^yeah that
One of the fields we played on yesterday, apparently the rubber and home plate were lined up funny. When the C set up the usual way it gave my DD a target that was right down the middle. She called time and told the catcher the deal, catcher set up differently after that. My DD's a 9 year old first year pitcher so I would think a high school player should know to do that. It sounds like perhaps she is making excuses? JMO.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So a pitcher is fully capable of hitting a catcher's mitt but can't find a way to miss it?

Next time it will be the umps zone, then the defense, then the weather, then the hole in front of the plate.

you got yerself a diva there coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13