Does this smell funny?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Wow! Softball is a small world, and word travels fast.

In other news...LB - Can you ask your buddy Mike if he will need a 2022 catcher? ;)

I already talked to him about my daughter!

On the plus side, coach White was very helpful, not dismissive or gruff at all, and honestly I felt kind of chuffed that I got to talk to him even if just for *looks at recent calls* one minute. Also the people at Oregon were very responsive and helpful.

Feb 3, 2011
She said she was "recruited to play". This doesn't mean she actually played for Oregon.
That is correct. It's almost in the same vein as people who truthfully state colleges they've "attended", even though they didn't graduate or perhaps took only a single online course, pass-fail.

The last part about "continued to work for the Ducks softball organization assisting in the recruitment and player advocate" is completely bogus, though. I can't see granting her the benefit of the doubt on this. As a coach/liaison for a travel team, she may well have reached out to UO, but that hardly qualifies as "working for Ducks softball".

She deliberately skirted around the truth in an effort to oversell herself in the other sections, but the last part is a lie that you easily confirmed.

Sep 29, 2014
It still baffles me about people think they can get away with this stuff....but as I read it you could tell she was being very specific about the words she was chosing "recruited" not played; "worked with" not for; "made it to championships" not won. Everything she said associated herself with things but not actually being a part of or participating in any of these things....I'm going with smells fishy

Feb 18, 2012
Southwest PA
Well, bad news. I called Mike White and he had no recollection of the coach as a player, either under her current name or her maiden name. I also contacted the Oregon athletic department and they searched their rosters back to 1974 and did not show her as a player. They also said she had never been part of the staff. I was finally able to find the older rosters in a document called History and Records Oregon Softball and not only does she not appear, there's never even been a player with her first name.
I didn't find any with her first name too but did find one player with a shorter version of that name that ends in (ie). Actually went to school with a girl that had that name and she always used the shorter version. The player with the shorter version first name played from 1994-1997 and she did play. She actually led the team in sac bunts two years in a row. So its possible she used these girls stats and her maiden name. Also this player did play Utility and OF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez