Do we need to give batters signs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
This is one of the more ridiculous topics I have seen on this Board. Letting the players run the game? You might have one or two that might be fairly smart about the game but by and large they don't have a clue about strategy and the inside part of the game.

Sorry if my topic was "ridiculous" to you. The point behind it was quite simple... if we can turn over the pitch calling to the catcher, are there any other areas that we could also turn over to the players as they age up and get more knowledgeable of the game. Personally I think it is a fair question and appreciate the responses to date.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
We are a pretty competitive 10-u team in Louisiana. Our catcher often calls the pitches in pool play, especially against teams we've played many times before. Typically, we'll kinda go over some of the opposition's more dangerous hitters...and talk about how we'd like to pitch them. As far as hitters and baserunners, we play a lot of small ball (bunts, fake bunts, slaps and steals) so it's pretty important the coach calls the signals so everyone is on the same page. Having said that, there are games (especially pool games) where we coaches take the game "off", and let the players just play. It's great for morale. However we DO look for opportunities to talk about situations and why we call things a certain way.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
SIGNS TO BATTERS

Batters are already in control most of the time. 90% of the time the sign is "swing away"...giving the batter discretion as to whether or not to swing at a pitch. I've never heard of a coach "calling the at-bat".

There is the occasional "take" sign given by a coach...but, come on. You've got girls playing 70-90 games a year. Do you think they don't know to "take when the count is 3-0"?

Coaches do need to give signs in order to teach the "short game". Many players prefer to swing away rather to bunt and slap. So, coaches need to give the signs until the players get comfortable with it.

Bunting, hit and run

These have to be coordinated between the runners and the batters. So, I don't see practically how this could be done without a coach.

STEALING

Some coaches give some kids absolute discretion to steal bases. If a kid is good enough, she doesn't need a coach to tell her when to steal.

POSITIONING OUTFIELDERS

Positioning outfielders usually consists of a grown man waving his arms around while the players move randomly until he stops. So, yes, I think probably any small child old enough to walk can do as good of a job as 99.5% of the coaches.

When runners are in scoring position 3-0 is actually a great count to hit away in. 90% of 3-0 pitches are strikes and they are all fastballs!

Jan 15, 2009
A few years ago DD was on a rec team where the assistant coach taught the girls the batting signs but the head coach took 3rd base during games. With the go ahead run on second with two outs, DD bunted and was thrown out at first. Coming into the dugout the head coach was yelling at her as to why she bunted.

DD: "You gave me the bunt sign"
The coach looked over at his assistant and she said: "Yes, you touched your nose"
Head coach responds: "That is the bunt sign?"

Had a similar one last year
Coach "Why did you bunt"
Player "You hit your hip twice"
Coach "Oh, sorry, my cell phone started ringing and I was trying to turn it off."
:)

Apr 13, 2010
This is one of the more ridiculous topics I have seen on this Board. Letting the players run the game? You might have one or two that might be fairly smart about the game but by and large they don't have a clue about strategy and the inside part of the game.
There's nothing quite like a 12 year old kid calling her own game and a 12 year old pitcher pitching the game that's called.

Just saying. The smiles were a mile wide for both kids.

R

RayR

I let the catchers call some games, but since I am the coach and am ultimately responsible for the team's success - I call the pitches for most games...if the catchers are paying attention they can learn how to call a game (assuming I do my job successfully). I have had players get crap from their fathers for not calling the correct pitch - then the player is mad at their father for saying something and you enter into a scenario where you have to manage a players emotions and get her to re focus....

I would rather bare the brunt of a parents second guessing then have it put on a player....and my usual reply is - "if they throw the ball where I call it - we wouldn't be in this mess..." (half joking on the last statement).

But....just to share....I am calling a game last weekend....my pitcher is throwing a shutout and complains that I am not mixing up the pitches enough....one batter was fed a barage of screwballs - otherwise I had her throwing all four of her pitches consistently.....LOL....

Dec 28, 2008
If players get confidence from a coach giving signals who seems to be relaxed and in control then I like the concept of signals in terms of it helping players relax despite the commotion around them. When the players are calmer than the coach and they have to be distracted by a coach who is clearly having a nervous breakdown about some call 10 minutes ago, then they are a bad thing. Also not in favor of signal calling when it takes 20-30 seconds to do it and the player has no time to think for herself about the situation and whether she's going to look for her pitch, outside pitch etc. If you are going to give signals then do them quickly, in a controlled manner so that players aren't then rushed by umpire.

Mar 13, 2010
if the catchers are paying attention they can learn how to call a game

Bull. By that logic a player learns to pitch purely by watching others do it.

I have had players get crap from their fathers for not calling the correct pitch

You solve this by handing the father a glove and tell them to get out there and see how many 'equivilant age group' they can outsmart.

Nov 1, 2009
The signs are a form of communication for everyone to be on the same page. Very few signs mean anything until you have a runner but once you do you need to ensure all players are on the same page.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We have resigned ourselves to being Over-signed. But hey the coaches look pretty big league with all that touching of various body parts. LOL, do I sound a little sarcastic???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan