Dislocated pinky finger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2014
My dd dislocated her pinky on her pitching hand yesterday and was checking to see if anyone has any experience with this regards to recovery time.

Feb 3, 2014
Not pinky finger, but my RHP broke her R thumb batting this school ball season. 4 weeks in a splint until released to play. Overhand throwing was fine but initially pitching was a challenge because she felt pain when applying pressure & had very little control. A few days later she had a very intense practice with a lot of pitching time with her travel team & proved to herself she still could. Pitched well for nine innings in a school game 2 days after that. She still has issues with some pain & swelling but seems to have come back well, if not better, from her longest period of rest ever !!! She has worked on grip exercises with a squeeze ball, her spinner & even using a rubber band. Rick Pauly has a great grip strength / exercises video available online. Hope your dd recovers well !

Jan 4, 2015
Depends on which joint that was dislocated (MCP, which is the big knuckle, PIP, which is the one in the middle, or DIP, the one on the end), if there was a fracture with it, and the type of dislocation (meaning direction of the dislocation). Could be anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks depending on the above factors. I deal with this everyday and it can be problematic for the rest of her life if she doesn't get it treated correctly. I would suggest a board certified hand surgeon with a CAQ in hand surgery and that is a member of the ASSH (American Society for Surgery of the Hand). Typically, where teatment goes wrong is that they immobilize the joint for too long and it gets stiff, or they don't recognize a developing flexion contracture or swan neck deformity (the severity of the initial injury is what dictates that).

Sep 29, 2014
Get an appointment ASAP with an orthopedic doc for tests. I really can't imagine her pitching for a month or so given the need and stress put on the pitching fingers while pitching, even if it starts to feel better which it probably will pretty quickly it is not worth rushing it.

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
My daughter dislocated the middle joint of her middle finger on her pitching hand. In 2 weeks the doctor OK'd her to play limited volleyball with it buddy-taped to a neighboring finger. She played back row and only passed. She did not set, hit, or serve. In 4 weeks she was able to play volleyball all around with it buddy-taped. She did not try throwing a softball, as we were not in season at that time. At 8 weeks she was able to throw and pitch a softball without pain or taping. Again this was her middle finger, and it was dislocated without any fractures or bone chips (we had X-rays twice...once when it happened and at 2 weeks).

With a pinky you will probably have less issues, as long as there are no fractures or bone chips. Pain may be the main issue. If it is a standard-issue dislocation, I would try to take off 2 weeks, and then see if she can ease back into it. Tape it alone for support. Buddy-tape it to her ring-finger for other sports like bball, soccer, vball, etc. Throwing a softball with it buddy-taped would be difficult.

My daughter was 12 when she dislocated her finger.

As others have said, see an orthopedic doctor for advice.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2014
Orthodoc it was the pip and no fracture. Reset at a Med Express on Sunday.
cc88f2e119a7b04cb2d6256adebb8a7f.jpg
23c703e3cdc85f111a69cadffa8fbbfc.jpg

Oct 22, 2010
DD fractured and dislocated PIP on ring finger of pitching hand last year. After 4 weeks she was pitching with a pin in her finger and a splint. After 4 more weeks the pin was removed. In the xray the last joint of the finger was completely seperated and at a 45 degree angle to the finger.

Oct 22, 2009
Lindsy finger pinky.jpg

DD's pinky was crushed. 45 minute surgery, put back together with pins. 8 weeks then re-hab. Has a permanent twist to it now as ortho did what he could with what he had.

Jan 4, 2015
Looks good clinically, but I would only be giving educated guess without an exam or x-Ray. FWIW, A simple dorsal dislocation without a fracture, that is stable on exam, I would send back at three weeks after therapy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez