DIII and Financial Aid - what's your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 11, 2016
My DD applied ED and got accepted to a DIII, which only awards need-based financial aid...

My DD don’t qualify for need-based financial aid.

I asked for a discount or reduced tuition, and the answer was “no”.

We established a 529 for her since she was in pre-school... still not near enough for the crazy $57K plus a year tuition ($77K/yr with boarding) for 4 years.... feels like we are being penalized for saving...

Anyone with experience with highly selective NESCAC, and financial-aid/scholarships?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My experience says that private schools have more leeway to adjust price than public schools. Enrollments at many residential universities are down. For a good student, you'll probably find plenty of competitiveness on price. Get into the top 25% of SAT/ACT scores for schools that consider that, and additional money can magically appear. Ultimately, that's worth more than a batting average because that money is guaranteed if you do reasonably well in the classroom. If you are local, private schools may work very hard to at least match the price of the large public schools in the same region. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask.

I firmly believe that "fit" is more important than how a school ranks in some survey. Anything near the USNews top 100 is really good, and some very good schools can be found far lower on that list. The practical difference between most large and/or nationally known universities is really pretty narrow, but can vary more widely by major.

Strength in the specific program you're going to study, net cost, and location are more important than any whole school rank. The bling attached to a "top school" doesn't matter if your kid doesn't like being there, can't afford it, or ends up majoring in something useless. Heck, it really doesn't matter past your first job application anyway.

Jan 31, 2015
Ok first off, forget about whether the school is DI,II, or III. Assuming your DD isn’t going to a power 5 school with the chance of playing for Team USA one day.
Shop for schools that fit your DDs academic goals. Do those schools have the degree necessary for her to do what she wants? If she doesn’t know, do they have a wide variety of degree programs?

and yes many private DIII schools offer large amounts off the inflated tuition rates they
Charge. They play off parental pride. I mean who doesn’t like bragging that their kid got a scholarship that pays 60%. Meanwhile your portion is still more then it costs to go to University of Michigan.

Well, obviously, you can't forget about DI vs DII vs DIII if you are pursuing an athletic scholarship. ;-)

Also, considering there are ~300 DI schools that play softball, there are MANY more degrees (ANY DEGREE) offered at these schools than there are softball opportunities.

Obviously, there are many factors to consider even when academics is the highest priority, but if DD's dream is to play DI softball while she gets her degree, it's going to be a factor.

At the end of the day, to each their own.

Dec 6, 2019
Ok first off, forget about whether the school is DI,II, or III. Assuming your DD isn’t going to a power 5 school with the chance of playing for Team USA one day.
Shop for schools that fit your DDs academic goals. Do those schools have the degree necessary for her to do what she wants? If she doesn’t know, do they have a wide variety of degree programs?

and yes many private DIII schools offer large amounts off the inflated tuition rates they
Charge. They play off parental pride. I mean who doesn’t like bragging that their kid got a scholarship that pays 60%. Meanwhile your portion is still more then it costs to go to University of Michigan.

Reply to wrong thread? lol

Dec 6, 2019
My experience says that private schools have more leeway to adjust price than public schools.

Very interested in your experience with private schools adjusting price. You got one to do this? Please share more. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2015
Great topic!

I am one of the knuckleheads not getting any aid. Don't qualify for needs-based and merit-based wasn't put on the table. Super frustrating! DD believes she is not only a better player, but she thinks she's also a better student than the other 2025 recruits. She had many other options and offers to apply and play; skill-wise she's setup for mid-major D1/high-level D3. Decided she wanted to go with a fairly low-level D3 program because of the reputation and uniqueness of the school and her intended major. She pursued the team hard and I think they took advantage of that. Bummer.

Upside is that we know she will massively outperform on the field, likely to play every inning of every game all 4 years if she wants. I also suspect that if she does well in school and on the field, she might be able to get merit aid in future years.

At the very least, she now knows she has to get a part-time job ASAP! I couldn't be more excited about that.

Actually, you remind me of another great point. IF you apply *EARLY DECISION* vs. *early action* vs *regular decision*, then if you are accepted, you are *CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED* to attend which means the school does NOT have to offer you ANY financial aid nor scholarships.

This was another reason why my daughter only applied *early action* instead of *early decision*.

Also, you will find that MOST financial aid and merit scholarship money is given out for *early action* and if you wait to apply *regular decision* you will be competing with more applicants for the remaining financial aid and merit scholarships money.

May 27, 2013
Our experience with D3 and money has been solely based on each specific school. One school offered x amount of merit money and said they could offer even more if the ACT/SAT was above a certain number (yes, even in 2020). Other D3 schools offered in-state tuition for out-of-state students. The majority of high academic D3’s do not offer any merit money because academic-wise, the majority of students have similar statistics.

Also, I somewhat disagree with going to a top school doesn’t matter. It can absolutely make a difference with undergrad research opportunities, internships, grad school admissions, etc. Yes, it can be very major-specific, but it also can absolutely make a difference - especially with alumni networks - which can be very “conference-based,” not just school-based (eg Ivy League). I do agree, however, that the student should want to go there (and can afford it), and not just go there because of a name.

Vicimus - just curious - is your dd pulling all of her other apps since she just committed to a school or is she waiting to see where else she will get accepted?

Jun 8, 2016
Also, I somewhat disagree with going to a top school doesn’t matter. It can absolutely make a difference with undergrad research opportunities, internships, grad school admissions, etc.
You also surround yourself with other high achievers when you go to a top school. Depending on how self-motivated your child is, that can make a difference as well. Here at OU, I have run into a lot of really bright kids who, unfortunately, "play down" to the competition so to speak..

May 27, 2013
Actually, you remind me of another great point. IF you apply *EARLY DECISION* vs. *early action* vs *regular decision*, then if you are accepted, you are *CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED* to attend which means the school does NOT have to offer you ANY financial aid nor scholarships.

This was another reason why my daughter only applied *early action* instead of *early decision*.

Also, you will find that MOST financial aid and merit scholarship money is given out for *early action* and if you wait to apply *regular decision* you will be competing with more applicants for the remaining financial aid and merit scholarships money.

Actually, if you get accepted ED but then something happens where the school is no longer affordable before accepting admission (parent loses job due to Covid, etc) you can back out. This is where the NPC must be utilized beforehand. Some situations can happen financially beyond one’s control (family expected x amount of FA per NPC but did not receive near that amount) and you can back out.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Well, obviously, you can't forget about DI vs DII vs DIII if you are pursuing an athletic scholarship. ;-)

Also, considering there are ~300 DI schools that play softball, there are MANY more degrees (ANY DEGREE) offered at these schools than there are softball opportunities.

Obviously, there are many factors to consider even when academics is the highest priority, but if DD's dream is to play DI softball while she gets her degree, it's going to be a factor.

At the end of the day, to each their own.
Yes you are correct. DIII has no official athletic scholarships. But we all know they do.

regardless my point still stands. The education must matter as much if not more then the softball. Softball lasts (if they are lucky) until they are 23ish. That education should benefit them forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying