DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Why? It serves a purpose...yes. But with regard to the issue with the OP of casting....the best way I have found to correct it is by stressing the bottom hand. Get the feel of the pull of the bottom hand instead of the feel of the push of the top hand. Before you go posting 50 .gifs ....try it. It makes sense.

The top hand is not simply "along for the ride". It does have a usage. It is involved with the early working of the barrel. For many the "working of the barrel" leads to the 'slot' ... an "upright vee" at the "RVP Connection Point Position".

The "hand path" of many hitters can be cleaned up immensely by learning top hand/forearm usage.

Short-to, long-through ..... Around, Along ..... work the barrel, throw the barrel .....

Jul 17, 2012
The top hand is not simply "along for the ride". It does have a usage. It is involved with the early working of the barrel. For many the "working of the barrel" leads to the 'slot' ... an "upright vee" at the "RVP Connection Point Position".

The "hand path" of many hitters can be cleaned up immensely by learning top hand/forearm usage.

Short-to, long-through ..... Around, Along ..... work the barrel, throw the barrel .....

Top Hand Arm.jpg

Here's my point....the elbow is slotted, and the barrel is ready to fire, but look at the bottom hand arm...it's already at full extension. Train the front hand what it needs to do... she's getting outside the box way too early in her sequence. She needs to learn to use her bottom hand.... It's an easy teach if you stress the pull......with the elbow leading the hands. She's NOT in a power position at contact. She's exploded before contact...and at contact...it's all arms.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
How well is she hitting the ball currently?

Do you have any full-speed video you can share? Slo-mo doesn't tell the whole story.

At first glance, I see issues with hand path, weight shift over the rear leg, and extension through contact.

I felt like this point was about to get lost, but it was the first thing I noticed as well. Watch the Pujols .gifs. His rear knee stays inside his rear foot during the load.

Feb 15, 2013
turn barrel demo.jpg

We faced some fast pitching this weekend and a number of girls were over matched. I created a fastpitch version of the Pujols demo above to review at practice this week.

The loopy swing on the left slides the hands (casts) and is late with the barrel. The compact swing on the right keeps the hands tight and turns the barrel into the hitting zone immediately. As with Pujols, the colored lines represent the rear forearm.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
.......................................................................................HAND PIVOT POINT
7866d1428932131-dd-swing-turn-barrel-demo.jpg

ColdRedGrassspider.gif

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan