DD ptiching and catching??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My DD is playing on a 12U traveling team but they are definately in their rebuilding year. My daughter has pitched for the last few years but never the #1, usually the #2 or #3. She has also been catching the last few years here and there. Last year she was the #2 catcher but this year definately the #1 catcher and #2 catcher is not very stroing at the postion at all as she is just learning the position. The top three pitchers this year are very close so not really a #1, #2 or #3 and that includes my DD.

Now the problem, since it's a rebuilding year and when she pitches there are usaully a fair amount of errors she then gets frustrated and it brings her entire game down includung at the plate. When she catches she is not near as bothered by team errors, her overall game is much better and she really tends to help out the team much better. We have spoke to her many times regarding "the pitcher mentality" and you have to think about the next pitch and not what just happended etc etc etc. but it just does not seem to help her. Maybe it's just her type of personalty as she tends to be hard on herself??? She has a pitching coach that she works with once in awhile but has been basically self taught on catching but seems to have taken to the postion quite well.
I made the suggestion this week that we start to focus more on catching and her overall game and she seemed fine with that but said she would still like to pitch "once in awhile" but I know to be a good pitcher you have to put in the time and I don't know if she is willing to really do that??? I told her pitching coach what we are thinking and she's not very happy about the suggestion. We told the coach and he's fine with it but is that because that makes his decisions easier now and she definately helps the team more when she is catching???
What does everyone suggest we do, what is best for my DD, at what age do you say it's either pitching or catching???
Not really sure what is the right call here as a parent, what is everyone's suggestions???

Thanks

Mar 13, 2010
You need to sit with your daughter and talk to her like an adult. (no swearing though)

Explain to her what you've said here. That you feel she is a better catcher because .... You will support her in whatever she chooses, but she has to pick one or the other. She can't be good at both. If she wants to be the best player she can be, she needs to pick now. You will help her be the best pitcher or best catcher she can be, but you can't do both. Ask her if she thinks it's fair to her team to have a pitcher who only wants to do it occasionaly?

The reason the pitching coach is against it is because she will be losing a paying customer.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
At 10 we did the same. DD was #1 catcher and #2-3 pitcher. I said that she can't do both, it is too much work and I am afraid that she would stop enjoying the game. She also took every loss personally. After giving up pitching completely she has been more mentally relaxed and enjoyed the game more. No more tears after the game has been good for everyone.

Apr 27, 2009
Have her not concentrate on team errors. That creates a blaming thing that not only hurts team cohesion, it also creates that cycle of expectations. This attitude only comes from adults and we have to be careful not to impart it on our kids. Humans, we tend to play to the level expected of us, not sure how it happens, but we play down, if thought of badly by another player.

The player needs to know she might make a mistake (walk, homer) and her teammates will cut her some slack.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are too close to the problem. So, how about this:

Suppose you wanted your DD to play the clarinet and you got her lessons. She was good, but not better than everyone else who played the clarinet. Then, one day, out of the blue, she picks up a guitar. She quickly learns to play without lessons. And, she is much better than everyone else. When she plays the clarinet in the band, she gets frustrated. But, when she plays the guitar, she makes a noticeable difference in the quality of the band. You ask her if she wants to give up the clarinet, and she says, "Well, don't sell the clarinet. I might play it once in a while."

Would you put another $10 in clarinet lessons? Or, would you get her a really good guitar instructor and see just how good she can be at playing the guitar?

She is saying that she wants to give up pitching and concentrate on catching. She is just trying to let you down easy. It is pretty obvious you are more into pitching than her.

It takes a certain personality to be a pitcher. And, it takes a certain personality to be a catcher. Good catchers get scholarships just like good pitchers.

IMHO, you should say, "Let's find you a really good catching coach and send you to a catching camp. And, let's do some more hitting drills." Enjoy it...let her do what she wants to do and then you go along for the ride. It is a lot more fun and interesting to let her drive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06