Crimson Tide leaking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Don't discount the fact that Alabama will be attractive to quality/proven players who enter the portal. I know the contention is that with so many opting out Alabama won't be attractive to other players but they are still Alabama. Those players will know that they will receive a lot of face time on TV if they go there.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Once you put your name in the transfer portal the odds of the coach welcoming you back with open arms are pretty slim...doesn't mean if you are top 3 or 4 players on the team you won't play but if you performance drops off in the slightest or they can recruit or transfer in someone of equal maybe even just slightly less ability that you won't find yourself without a spot or a scholarship. Now if the coach is fired you might get a second chance but it's still hard because you have announced to the world "I don't want to play here"

Not convinced it plays out that way. Lots of pro athletes re-sign with their original teams after considering serious offers from other teams. Not sure why a college coach wouldn't welcome back a player as long as the coach still wanted the player in the first place.

Jun 8, 2016
Not convinced it plays out that way. Lots of pro athletes re-sign with their original teams after considering serious offers from other teams. Not sure why a college coach wouldn't welcome back a player as long as the coach still wanted the player in the first place.
Difference is pro sports are player dominated while in college sports the coach is often the "star" and if they see themselves that way it would probably be an issue..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That is hedging BIG-MONEY contracts against each other.
Threat threat pay me more.
But scholarships are limited to scholarship/ tuition money.

*Pending in lieu of what NIL$ does

Oct 14, 2019
Don't discount the fact that Alabama will be attractive to quality/proven players who enter the portal. I know the contention is that with so many opting out Alabama won't be attractive to other players but they are still Alabama. Those players will know that they will receive a lot of face time on TV if they go there.
Prange is their best position player so that might prove true.

Feb 15, 2017
Yes they did which really to me should have been the first red flag that there is a player revolt against coaching. I think Alabama and Michigan (based on early portal entrants) are showing that two "older" legendary coaches are not fairing well. The big problem is the red flags are flying high over both programs so it will be difficult for recruits or potential transfer portal girls to look at those situations and say "yeah I want to go to a school where all their star players are leaving". I know neither Michigan or Alabama want to address the issue with firings but neither school softball program will be a legitimate national championship contender until they do unfortunately.

On a side note, Montana Fouts is putting up a strong message she is playing in her extra year and staying put in Alabama. Two ways to look at it, if she wants to compete for a championship it is the absolute wrong decision on her part because the program is going to be a shell of what it was for the time being, if she cares more about being in Alabama and potentially coaching in the state after her final season then it is the right thing to do.
You are correct. I think Bama is down to 13 players and three singees for next year.

Listen to this podcast and it doesn't speak well for Bama.

Murph is the hitting coach and KB goes from three home runs in three years to nine in one season. I'd be interested in the number of fist pitch strikes and first and second pitch strikes Bama took this year and the batting average as a result of it.

Skylar Wallace was told she'd never see the infield at Bama so she left and they felt they didn't need KB at the plate or the outfield. I don't think that worked out.

Also while Shipman worked out behind the plate for the most part in two key situations Prange didn't deliver in the field and looked out of place in the FSU game and Stanford game.

Heard Kyfoil goes in for surgery on her foot next week. There was no way they were going to win the World Series with one pitcher as Salter and Torrance didn't have the experience as a number 2.

As to Fouts yep she won't win a championship there now and she's positioning for something. Sad thing is they never had her develop and off speed pitch and I venture to say Corrick from USF was a more complete pitcher.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
You think? Alabama needs a second arm with a different style than Fouts. Stanford lit her up twice.
I think the issue is that teams have either figured out Bama's signs or they have adjusted to her. Also she doesn't have an off speed pitch and her misses this year haven't been the type of misses that get hitters to swing.

Feb 15, 2017
Prange is their best position player so that might prove true.
I'd say Prange being the best position player is not saying a lot. Maddie Moore was a much better fielder. Prange came up small in two key defensive plays this year and her bat didn't makeup for those moments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321