Cost of college and scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
None of my three kids played collegiate sports so no sports scholarships.

We always made/make too much money for need based aid.

We need to fill out this year's FAFSA but DDs school told us to wait until February 1 until the new system gets the bugs out. We will again get no need based money. But DD get's academic money that covers roughly half. Still with that our total costs are around $38K per year (that's all in for tution, housing, food, books, supplies, etc but not travel too and from).

And remember that with private schools sticker price is rarely actual price. And if DD has choices go back to their financial aid department and say School X is going to give us $Y, can you do beat that in your package? If your DD is desireable, they often will but you do need to ask sometimes.

I suppose it's silly of me to not want to pay for my kids' colleges. Obviously just with room & board there's tangible value in it, yet somehow I still want it to be free. I'm either entitled, insane, or really, really frugal. Maybe a combo platter.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I suppose it's silly of me to not want to pay for my kids' colleges. Obviously just with room & board there's tangible value in it, yet somehow I still want it to be free. I'm either entitled, insane, or really, really frugal. Maybe a combo platter.
Pandora's box of not everyone pays the same amount was opened long ago, so of course everyone will want to pay as little as possible somehow.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Hey I'm all for free college education too even though I'm "almost" done paying for my 3 kids. I don't think kids who chose the wrong parents should have their opportunities limited because of it but that's just me.

May 27, 2013
Eh, we knew what we were getting into cost-wise with our kids’ schools (D3) and we never expected to receive any help - but it is nice when schools recognize hard work in the classroom.

Oct 4, 2018
Hey I'm all for free college education too even though I'm "almost" done paying for my 3 kids. I don't think kids who chose the wrong parents should have their opportunities limited because of it but that's just me.

Sorry, perhaps you misunderstood, as I wasn't that clear.

I don't like to spend money on anything, and also wished my kids could just get 200% scholarships to everything.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
I didn't read though all the comments so someone could have brought this up....... I had my kids get thier associate degrees while in Highschool. It made college allot easier. My oldest had a full ride to a small D1 and was able to finish her masters walking out debt free. My second oldest daughter wasn't as talented and went D2 with 45% acedemic and room and board paid for by softball but she only needed two years to complete her degree....so paying the remainder was too bad. If your highschool offers dual credit or a complete associate degree program don't overlook it....it helps allot.

Jan 28, 2017
May have been covered. My DD is a pitcher and is going the JUCO route. She should finish her AA during her freshman year. D1 JUCO has housing and she has a full ride. The conference beats a lot of D1 schools. Her team played Auburn, FSU, MS State, UF, AL, FAMU and LSU in the fall and won some games. If labeled D2 JUCO no housing is allowed. With her academic money she will be pocketing a pretty good check. I'm not sure what she will do after JUCO but it was a great fit for her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad